Welcome to Postgraduate Medical Education, Faculty of Health Sciences at McMaster University.
Postgraduate Medicine learners are required to submit the McMaster Postgraduate Medicine Health Screening Record form AND be cleared by the Health Screening Office before they may register for their program and attend clinical placement. Detailed requirements are on the form.
Note: Visiting elective residents from Ontario Universities with start dates July 1, 2019 or later are now required to submit the form.
Submit the form to the Health Screening Office (not the PG program office) at least eight weeks prior to your program start date to allow time for review and clearance. Start early and submit on time even if all the requirements have not been completed!
The Health Screening Office can facilitate completion of requirements which international learners are unable to access in their home country.
Postgraduate Medicine Health Screening Record Form
NOTE 1: PGY1 and International trainees must submit a single TST dated within the last 12 months if a negative two-step TST was completed more than 12 months before submission of your Health Screening Forms.
NOTE 2: Page 1 of the form must be submitted. It is not necessary to have a health care professional (HCP) complete a requirement on page 4 if official records for the requirement are attached. Official records include lab reports, chest x-ray report, vaccination records, letter or form signed by a qualified HCP (including the AFMC form or Canadian University immunization form). For any requirement for which there is no official record, a qualified HCP must complete the relevant section on page 4.
Click on the Home or Forms & Submission tab on the left side bar for more information about Health Screening.
If you have any questions, contact the Health Screening Office at firstname.lastname@example.org, 905-525-9140 ext 22249.
Helpful tips when completing your form
- Please add email@example.com to your safe senders list to ensure you receive our emails.
- Review the requirements detailed on the form carefully and review again before submitting your documentation.
- Submit your form with supporting documentation attached together as one file. Keep copies of all documentation for your files.
- Tuberculin skin tests (TST) must be fully documented with date and mm induration. IGRA serology is accepted for international visiting learners only.
- If Pertussis vaccine (Tdap) is not available in your home country, you must arrange to have this vaccine in Canada before you may register for your program.
- Tetanus-Diphtheria-Polio vaccines and Hepatitis B vaccines/serology for immunity (anti-HBs) may be in process at the time you start your program. Hepatitis B vaccines should be available at the hospital Employee Health Services after registration. NOTE: Positive anti-HBs serology alone is not considered proof of immunity to Hepatitis B by the Canadian Immunization Guide if documented vaccines are missing or incomplete.
- Have proof of immunization with current season’s influenza vaccine on file in case it is requested by your placement site; you do not need to submit documentation to the Health Screening Office. The vaccine is available at most pharmacies and hospital Employee Health Services.
- Postgraduate medicine learners must comply with the CPSO Blood Borne Viruses Policy and report any positive serology to the CPSO and Associate Dean of Postgraduate Medical Education; documentation is not required by the Health Screening Office.
For more information, click on the following links:
How to Submit your Health Screening Record & Supporting Documentation
Retain the original of all documents for your files and submit copies to the FHS Health Screening Office in one of three ways:
- Preferred method is electronically via Sharefile** (secure document collection) using the following: link:
[Upload documents here]
NOTE: Scan your forms as a single JPEG or PDF document and save your file as "last name, first name, PGME". For example:
"Singh, David PGME"
If uploading multiple documents save them with the same file name and then number them. For example:
"Singh, David PGME1"
"Singh, David PGME2"
Enter your program name under "company" on the upload page.
- Confidential Fax: 905-528-4348
- In Person / Mail copies only:
McMaster FHS Health Screening
1280 Main Street West, MDCL 3514
Hamilton ON L8S 4K1
Att: Patricia Hartnett
**Citrix ShareFile uses industry-standard efforts to safeguard the confidentiality of information; note that no method of transmission over the internet is fully secure. For more information, see:
Citrix ShareFile Security and Compliance