Welcome to Postgraduate Medical Education, Faculty of Health Sciences at McMaster University.
Students must be cleared by the McMaster Health Screening Office before they may register for their program and attend clinical placement.
Students must complete the McMaster Postgraduate Medicine Health Screening Record. Detailed instructions for completion are on the form. The Health Screening Record must be completed in full by a Health Care Provider (physician, nurse practitioner, registered nurse) and submitted at least 8 weeks prior to the program start date to allow time for review and clearance. Start early and submit on time even if all the requirements have not been completed!
The Health Screening Office can facilitate completion of requirements which International students are unable to access in their home country.
Postgraduate Medicine Health Screening Record
Postgraduate Medicine Health Screening Requirements
Click on the Home or Forms & Submission tab on the left side bar for more information about Health Screening. If you have any questions, contact the Health Screening Office at firstname.lastname@example.org,905-525-9140 ext 22249.
Helpful tips when completing your forms
- Copies of required lab and x-ray reports (if applicable) must be attached. Other immunization records may be attached as supporting documentation -- Health Care Provider initials/signatures are not required in the corresponding sections in the McMaster form.
- Ensure that TB skin tests are fully documented (date given, date read, mm induration). A two-step test is two separate tests requiring four visits to your Health Care Provider. For international students only, if TB skin testing is not available in your home country, IGRA serology will be accepted as an alternative. For more information see the Canadian Tuberculosis Standards, 7th Edition 2013.
- Adult Pertussis vaccine (Tdap) is a mandatory requirement even if not due for a tetanus diphtheria booster. For more information, see Pertussis Vaccine (TDAP) Information.
- Both anti-HBs and HBsAg serology is required even if you are immune to Hepatitis B.
- Serology for immunity should NOT be tested after one or more vaccinations for measles, mumps, rubella or varicella. Serology should not be repeated if previous testing shows immunity.
- Make sure your health care provider has filled in the entire form and initialed where necessary, otherwise, your record will be returned not cleared.
Make sure you submit copies
of all documentation and retain the originals
for your files. You may be asked for this documentation at any time while on placement.
How to Submit your Health Screening Record & Supporting Documentation
Retain the original of all documents for your files and submit copies to the FHS Health Screening Office in one of three ways:
- Preferred method is electronically via Sharefile** (secure document collection) using the following: link:
[Upload documents here]
NOTE: Scan your forms as a single JPEG or PDF document and save your file as "last name, first name, PGMD". For example:
"Smith, John PGMD"
If uploading multiple documents save them with the same file name and then number them. For example:
"Smith, John PGMD1"
"Smith, John PGMD2"
- Confidential Fax: 905-528-4348
- In Person / Mail copies only:
McMaster FHS Health Screening
1280 Main Street West, MDCL 3514
Hamilton ON L8S 4K1
Att: Patricia Hartnett
**Citrix ShareFile uses industry-standard efforts to safeguard the confidentiality of information; note that no method of transmission over the internet is fully secure. For more information, see:
Citrix ShareFile Security and Compliance