Welcome to Postgraduate Medical Education, Faculty of Health Sciences at McMaster University.
Postgraduate Medicine students (with the exception of visiting elective students from Ontario Universities) must complete a McMaster Postgraduate Health Screening Record and be cleared by the Health Screening Office before they may register for their program and attend clinical placement.
The Health Screening Record must be submitted to the Health Screening Office (not the program office) at least eight weeks prior to your program start date to allow time for review and clearance. Detailed instructions for completion are on the form. Start early and submit on time even if all the requirements have not been completed!
The Health Screening Office can facilitate completion of requirements which international students are unable to access in their home country.
Postgraduate Medicine Health Screening Record
Click on the Home or Forms & Submission tab on the left side bar for more information about Health Screening.
If you have any questions, contact the Health Screening Office at email@example.com, 905-525-9140 ext 22249.
Helpful tips when completing your form
- Official records may be attached to your form in place of a Health Care Professional (HCP) completing the corresponding section (leave that section of the form blank).
All other sections must be completed and initialed by a qualified HCP except where a student's signature is required. Submit the entire form along with your supporting documentation together as one file.
- Tuberculosis (TB): If you do not have a documented positive TB history, a baseline two-step TB skin test (TST) is required. A two-step TST is two separate tests requiring four visits to a HCP. A TST must be given either before or at least 4 weeks after a live vaccine. For international visiting students only, if TB skin testing is not available in your home country, IGRA serology will be accepted as an alternative. If baseline screening is negative, be sure to complete the TB exposure questionnaire (#3C on the form). For more information see Tuberculosis .
- If you grew up in Canada, contact the Public Health Office which serviced your High School area to obtain childhood immunization records.
- Adult Pertussis vaccine (Tdap) is a mandatory requirement even if you are not due for a booster. For more information, see Pertussis Vaccine (TDAP) Information.
- Tetanus/Diphtheria/Polio vaccinations and Hepatitis B vaccinations/serology may be in process at the time you start your program. We recommend you complete a fully documented vaccination series plus test for Hepatitis B immunity (anti-HBs) one or more months after the Hepatitis B series is completed.
- Proof of immunity to measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (either vaccination or positive IgG serology) is a mandatory requirement. Live vaccines may be given at the same time or they must be spaced at least 4 weeks apart.
- Serology for immunity should NOT be tested after one or more vaccinations for measles, mumps, rubella or varicella. Serology should not be repeated if previous testing shows immunity.
- Proof of immunity to Hepatitis B requires both positive anti-HBs serology AND a documented vaccination series. Students with incomplete or missing Hepatitis B vaccines or non-immune anti-HBs serology (< 10 IU/L) must sign the Hepatitis B Self-Declaration (#10 on the form).
Make sure you submit copies
of all documentation and retain the originals
for your files. You may be asked for this documentation at any time while on placement.
How to Submit your Health Screening Record & Supporting Documentation
Retain the original of all documents for your files and submit copies to the FHS Health Screening Office in one of three ways:
- Preferred method is electronically via Sharefile** (secure document collection) using the following: link:
[Upload documents here]
NOTE: Scan your forms as a single JPEG or PDF document and save your file as "last name, first name, PGME". For example:
"Smith, John PGME"
If uploading multiple documents save them with the same file name and then number them. For example:
"Smith, John PGME1"
"Smith, John PGME2"
- Confidential Fax: 905-528-4348
- In Person / Mail copies only:
McMaster FHS Health Screening
1280 Main Street West, MDCL 3514
Hamilton ON L8S 4K1
Att: Patricia Hartnett
**Citrix ShareFile uses industry-standard efforts to safeguard the confidentiality of information; note that no method of transmission over the internet is fully secure. For more information, see:
Citrix ShareFile Security and Compliance