Visiting Postgraduate Medicine students
Visiting Electives website: McMaster PGMD Visiting Electives
See Postgraduate Medical Students tab on the left for Postgraduate Medicine Health Screening Record and detailed instructions on submitting documentation.
Visiting Undergraduate Medicine students
McMaster Undergraduate Visiting Electives website: Click here
AFMC Student Portal Institution Profile: Click here
Detailed immunization requirements checklist: Click here
Applying for a first-time elective at McMaster?
- Students must be cleared by the Health Screening Office before they may attend their elective.
- AFMC Student Portal Immunization and Testing form must be submitted with applications. Older versions of the form will be accepted if already completed. To download the current form, click here
- Complete as much of the form as possible prior to applying. Submit all outstanding requirements at least 8 weeks prior to an elective start date.
- We will send a document update request for any outstanding requirements after reviewing the form; submit the required documents altogether as one file after completion.
- Testing for HIV and Hepatitis C required. See current form for details.
- Tetanus-Diphtheria-Polio vaccines and Hepatitis B vaccines/test for immunity (anti-HBs) may be in process at the start of an elective; as much as possible must be completed up to 30 days prior to the elective start date. All other requirements must be fully completed for clearance.
Applying for another elective at McMaster?
- If you have been cleared for a previous elective at McMaster, we will send a document update request if there are any additional requirements for the new elective date.
- Provide proof of influenza immunization for electives between November and April in person directly to the placement site when you arrive for your elective; documentation does not need to be submitted to the Portal or Health Screening Office.
- Students who have infection with blood borne viruses Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and/or HIV must self-report their status to the McMaster Associate Dean of Undergraduate Medical Education (905-525-9140 ext 22141).
- Keep copies of all immunization documents on file in case they are requested by the placement site.
- Electives may be cancelled by the Visiting Electives Office if immunization requirements are not fully cleared by 30 days prior to an elective start date.
How to submit your immunization documents: ** Do not email immunization documents **
- Submit all immunization documents to your application on the AFMC Student Portal. Upload the document to your profile first, then submit the document to your application as a second step. For instructions, click here.
- If there is no window open on your application to submit immunization documents, contact the Health Screening Office and we will open a window for you.
McMaster Undergraduate Medicine Students
Immunization requirements for electives within Canada during Clerkship: Click here.
International electives: See Travel Health & Safety
Please contact Patricia Hartnett at the McMaster Health Screening Office:
Phone: 905-525-9140 ext 22249