Visiting Postgraduate Medicine students
Visiting Electives website: McMaster PGMD Visiting Electives
See Postgraduate Medical Students tab on the left for Postgraduate Medicine Health Screening Record and detailed instructions on submitting documentation.
Visiting Undergraduate Medicine students
Undergraduate Visiting Electives website: McMaster Undergraduate Visiting Electives
HIV and Hepatitis C testing: Students with electives starting August 1, 2017 or later must submit Appendix E (HIV and Hepatitis C Testing) on the 2018 AFMC Immunization and Testing Form (or reports for HIV and Hepatitis C serology). For more information click on McMaster Blood Borne Viruses
2018 AFMC Immunization and Testing Form: https://afmcstudentportal.ca/Immunization
2018 immunization requirements checklist: Click here
Note: The 2018 AFMC form has a revised Section H (Hepatitis B) and Appendix D (Hepatitis B Non-Immune Self-Declaration form). For students applying to McMaster, this updated requirement goes into effect Jan 10, 2018 for first-time applications only.
Applying for a first-time elective at McMaster?
Before January 10, 2018:
You may submit the 2017 AFMC Immunization and Testing Form along with Appendix E on the new 2018 form (or reports for HIV and Hepatitis C serology), OR you may submit the 2018 form. The 2017/18 Transition Addendum is not required.
As of January 10, 2018: If you have not previously had the 2017 AFMC Immunization and Testing Form completed, you will need to submit the new 2018 form. If you have already had the 2017 form completed, you may submit the 2017 form, along with Section B1 (Documented hepatitis B immunization series) and/or Section C (HIV and Hepatitis C Testing) on the 2017/18 Transition Addendum if these items have not already been completed. We do not require the Addendum if a complete Hepatitis B immunization series and positive anti-HBs serology are documented on the 2017 form, and if you submit Appendix E on the 2018 form (or reports for HIV and Hepatitis C serology).
Applying for another elective at McMaster?
If you have already been cleared for an elective starting August 1, 2017 or later, you are still considered cleared and do not need to resubmit your immunization form or the 2017/18 Transition Addendum. If you were cleared for a previous elective starting before August 1, 2017, you must submit Appendix E on the 2018 AFMC Immunization and Testing Form (or reports for HIV and Hepatitis C serology).
- Students should not submit the AFMC immunization form until all requirements are fully completed (including Hepatitis C and HIV); check over your documents carefully before submitting. Immunization documents should be be submitted the same time as your application (International students do not need to submit until after they have been accepted in the lottery process). If you are unable to complete all the requirements on time, please contact the Health Screening Office.
- Students with confirmed electives must be cleared for clinical placement by the McMaster Health Screening Office before they may start their elective.
- Students who have infection with blood borne viruses Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and/or HIV must self-report their status to the McMaster University Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Medical Education (telephone: 905-525-9140 ext 22141).
- Provide proof of updated seasonal influenza immunization directly to the placement site; you do not need to submit this to the AFMC Student Portal or McMaster Health Screening Office.
- Keep copies of all immunization documents in case they are requested by the placement site.
How to submit your immunization documents
** Do not email immunization documents **
Students applying through the
AFMC Student Portal:
- Submit all immunization documents to the Portal (not the Health Screening Office).
- Upload the AFMC immunization form (including Appendix E OR reports for Hepatitis C and HIV serology) to the “Immunization Records & Serology Results” window on your application.
- Requests for outstanding immunization requirements are posted on the Portal and appear on your application status as a document update request. If you receive a document update request or reminder from the Portal, log into your profile on the Portal to see what is required.
- Once you upload a new document contact the Health Screening Office to let us know so that we can review the documents (the Portal does not notify our office when documents are uploaded).
- If you wish to submit immunization documents after your application has been submitted and there is no update request on the Portal, please contact the Health Screening Office and we will open a window on the Portal for you to upload the documents.
Students NOT applying through the
AFMC Student Portal:
- Submit the AFMC immunization form (including Appendix E OR reports for Hepatitis C and HIV serology) to the Health Screening Office via ShareFile link or by confidential fax (905-528-4348). You do not need to notify our office that you have submitted the documents.
- Submit updated immunization documents via ShareFile link or by confidential fax.
How to upload immunization documents
Scan your documents as a single JPEG or PDF file and save your file as "Last name, First name VE".
For example:"Brown, Lara VE AFMC form”
If uploading multiple files save them with the same file name and then description.
For example:"Brown, Lara VE resub” and "Brown, Lara VE BBV"
**Upload to ShareFile here**
For Further Information:
Please contact Patricia Hartnett at the McMaster Health Screening Office:
Phone: 905-525-9140 ext 22249