Visiting Postgraduate Medicine students
Visiting Electives website: McMaster PGMD Visiting Electives
See Postgraduate Medical Students tab on the left for Postgraduate Medicine Health Screening Record and detailed instructions on submitting documentation.
Visiting Undergraduate Medicine students
Undergraduate Visiting Electives website: McMaster Undergraduate Visiting Electives
HIV and Hepatitis C testing: Students must submit Appendix E on the 2018 AFMC Student Portal Immunization and Testing Form (or reports for HIV and Hepatitis C serology). For more information click on
McMaster Blood Borne Viruses
AFMC Immunization and Testing Form: https://afmcstudentportal.ca/Immunization
Immunization requirements checklist: Click here
Applying for a first-time elective at McMaster?
- AFMC Student Portal Immunization and Testing form (2017 or 2018) and Appendix E on the 2018 form required.
- Appendix D on the 2018 form required if you do not have proof of immunity to Hepatitis B (i.e. positive anti-HBs serology conducted one or more months after a fully documented vaccination series, or positive anti-HBs and positive anti-HBc serology as evidence of naturally acquired infection). For more information see Hepatitis B Immunization & Serology.
- AFMC 2017/18 Transition Addendum is not required.
- Submit your immunization form (preferably including Appendix E) the same time as your application. All sections should be fully completed if possible.
- Section E. Tetanus/Diphtheria/Polio and Section H. Hepatitis B may be in process at the time you submit your application; as much as possible needs to be completed up to 30 days prior to the elective start date.
Applying for another elective at McMaster?
- If you attended a previous clerkship elective at McMaster, you do not need to resubmit your immunization form or the 2017/18 Transition Addendum. We will send you a document update request if there are any additional requirements.
- Electives are cancelled by the Visiting Electives Office if immunization requirements are not fully completed AND CLEARED by 30 days prior to the elective start date. Submit outstanding requirements well before the deadline to allow for review and clearance.
- Provide proof of influenza immunization (for electives between November and April) directly to the placement site, you do not need to submit documentation to the AFMC Student Portal or Health Screening Office.
- Students who have infection with blood borne viruses Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and/or HIV must self-report their status to the McMaster Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Medical Education (905-525-9140 ext 22141).
- Keep copies of all immunization documents in case they are requested by the placement site.
How to submit your immunization documents
** Do not email immunization documents **
Students applying through the
AFMC Student Portal:
- Submit all immunization documents to the Portal (not the Health Screening Office).
- You will be sent a document update request from the Portal for any outstanding immunization requirements. Log into the Portal and upload the required documents as one file after completion .
- If you wish to upload immunization documents to the Portal and there is no window open for upload, contact the Health Screening Office and we will open a window for you.
- To submit updated documentation to the Portal, you need to upload the document to your profile first, then submit the document to your application. For details click here.
Students NOT applying through the
AFMC Student Portal:
- Submit required immunization documents to the Health Screening Office via ShareFile link or by confidential fax (905-528-4348).
- You will be sent a document update request from the Health Screening Office (email@example.com) for any outstanding requirements. Submit the required documents to the Health Screening Office
How to upload immunization documents
Scan your documents as a single JPEG or PDF file and save your file as "Last name, First name VE".
For example:"Brown, Lara VE AFMC form”
If uploading multiple files save them with the same file name and then description.
For example:"Brown, Lara VE resub” and "Brown, Lara VE BBV"
**Upload to ShareFile here**
McMaster Undergraduate Medicine Students
Immunization requirements for electives within Canada during Clerkship: Click here.
Post MF4 and international electives: See MedPortal
Please contact Patricia Hartnett at the McMaster Health Screening Office:
Phone: 905-525-9140 ext 22249