The Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) requires incoming candidates and returning students to provide a Police Records Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). International or Visa students are required to provide a Police Certificate from each country or territory they have resided for more than six months consecutively for the past five years.
NOTE: this does not apply to postgraduate medicine students who supply their police check directly to the CPSO.
Vulnerable Sector Checks (VSC) are required to be updated on an annual basis and valid for the entire duration of each placement. VSCs are considered valid for one year from date of issue from Police Services. Students may be asked to complete the VSC process more frequently than annually, if required by a clinical site. Failure to do so may result in a student being unable to participate in or complete a clinical placement which can result in delays or inability to complete their program.
For additional information please refer to the Police Records Check Policy — Faculty of Health Sciences.
***Police checks are not returned to students***
Police checks are destroyed on or about October 1st
Year 1 Incoming Students
As a condition of enrollment, you must provide a Police Records Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC). An original copy dated after May 1st of your incoming year must be received by the FHS Professionalism Office by July 31, 2019. Note that the original copy you submit will not be returned to you unless you include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Police Services will not issue a Police Records VSC to anyone under the age of 18 years of age. Students under the age of 18 as of May 1st of their incoming year do not need to submit a VSC by July 31st. These students must advise the FHS Professionalism Office of their birth date and submit a VSC within 16 weeks of turning 18 years old.
As a condition of continued enrollment, you must provide an original copy of your Police Records Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) to the FHS Professionalism Office on an annual basis and prior to your current check expiring. If you fail to do so you may be considered in breach of the Police Records Check Policy and FHS Professionalism Behaviour Code of Conduct. Note that the original copy you submit will not be returned to you unless you include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
Police Checks ARE NOT Returned to Students
Be advised that the original Police Records Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) you submit will not be returned to you so ensure you request two original copies from your Police Services so that you can retain one copy incase requested by a placement site. If your Police Services will not issue two original copies please submit your one original copy to the Professionalism Office by the due date along with a self addressed stamped envelope and your original will be mailed back to you. NOTE: Hamilton Police Services no longer provide additional certified copies.
How to request and submit your check (for McMaster Students only)
The process for obtaining and submitted your check is as follows:
- Print out a McMaster Request for VSC letter to take with you to your local Police Services. Many Police Services require you to submit your application in person. Be sure to check their website for information and to determine what form of payment they will accept. NOTE: incomplete forms and incorrect payment forms/amounts may result in your application being returned for correction and a subsequent delay in obtaining a Vulnerable Sector Check.
- If you are going to Toronto Police Services you will need a personalized Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information form. Email email@example.com to request this form and then follow the submission instructions as outlined on Toronto Area Police Checks.
- If you Police Services requests a letter from McMaster which includes your name and details of the vulnerable population you will be in contact with please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Vulnerable Sector Checks must be specific to the institution requesting the VSC therefore we are unable to accept a VSC issued to another agency (eg. can't submit a VSC used for a summer job).
- If you are an upper year student and have lived in Hamilton during the past school year(s) you may request your VSC from Hamilton Police Services. You will need some form of official documentation (e.g. utilities bill) with your name and Hamilton address. Please contact Hamilton Police Services for more information.
- Request two original copies of your Police Records Vulnerable Sector Check VSC. Processing times fluctuate due to volume and time of year so please submit your application as soon as possible. Turnaround time at many Police Services can be up to 12 weeks so submit your request early. Be sure to get a receipt for your request.
If your local Police Services will not issue two original copies of a VSC then submit your one original copy along with a self addressed stamped envelope. Once the Professionalism Offices verifies your VSC it will be returned to you using the supplied self addressed stamped envelope.
- One original VSC must be submitted (record your name, program and year on the envelope) by midnight July 31, 2019 for incoming students or, if a returning student, prior to your current check expiring, directly to:
FHS Professionalism Office
1280 Main St. West, MDCL3514
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1
Att: Patricia Hartnett
Phone: 905-525-9140 ext 22249
- Keep your copy of your VSC in a safe place in case you need to present it at a placement site(s).
- Inform the Professionalism Office immediately if your VSC is 'Not Clear', so that we may work with you to determine the next steps.
- It is up to you, the student, to ensure you always have a current Police Records Vulnerable Sector Check VSC which is valid for the entire duration of each placement. Be sure to submit your renewed police check to the Professionalism Office a minimum of 2 weeks before your current one expires (one year after date of issue)
Please visit our Police Records Check FAQ page.