The Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) requires incoming candidates and returning students to provide a Police Records Check, including Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS). International or Visa students are required to provide a Police Certificate from each country or territory they have resided for more than six months consecutively for the past five years.
NOTE: this does not apply to postgraduate medicine students who supply their police check directly to the CPSO.
Police Records Checks VSS are required to be updated on an annual basis and valid for the entire duration of each placement. Police Records Checks are considered valid for one year from date of issue from Police Services. Students may be asked to complete the police records check process more frequently than annually, if required by a clinical site. Failure to do so may result in a student being unable to participate in or complete a clinical placement which can result in delays or inability to complete their program.
For additional information please refer to the Police Records Check Policy — Faculty of Health Sciences.
***Police checks are not returned to students***
Police checks are destroyed on or about October 1st
Year 1 Incoming Students
As a condition of your offer, you must provide a Police Records Check Vulnerable Sector Screen (VSS). An original copy dated after your offer of admission must be received by the FHS Professionalism Office by July 31, 2018. Note that the original copy you submit will not be returned to you.
To remain in good standing you must provide an original copy of your Police Records Check Vulnerable Sector Screen (VSS) to the FHS Professionalism Office on an annual basis and prior to your current check expiring. If you fail to do so you may be considered in breach of the Police Records Check Policy. Note that the original copy you submit will not be returned to you.
Police Checks ARE NOT Returned to Students
Be advised that the original Police Records Check Vulnerable Sector Screen (VSS) you submit will not be returned to you so ensure you request two original copies from your Police Services so that you can retain one copy incase requested by a placement site. If your Police Services will not issue two original copies please submit your one original copy to the Professionalism Office by July 31, 2018 along with a self addressed stamped envelope and your original will be mailed back to you.
How to request and submit your check (for McMaster Students only)
The process for obtaining and submitted your check is as follows:
- Print out a McMaster Request for VSS letter to take with you to your local Police Services. Many Police Services require you to submit your application in person. Be sure to check their website for information and to determine what form of payment they will accept. NOTE: incomplete forms and incorrect payment forms/amounts may result in your application being returned for correction and a subsequent delay in obtaining a Police Records Check.
- If you are going to Toronto Police Services you will need a personalized Consent to Disclosure of Personal Information form. Email email@example.com to request this form and then follow the submission instructions as outlined on Toronto Area Police Checks.
- If you are going to Hamilton Police Services you will need to request your VSS in person in order to obtain 2 original copies. You cannot request 2 copies using their on-line system and the original VSS you submit to McMaster will not be returned to you.
- Request two original copies of your Police Records Check VSS. Processing times fluctuate due to volume and time of year so please submit your application as soon as possible. Turnaround time at many Police Services can be up to 12 weeks so submit your request early. Be sure to get a receipt for your request.
If your local Police Services will not issue two original copies of a VSS (such as Niagara Regional Police Service) then submit your one original copy along with a self addressed stamped envelope. Once the Professionalism Offices confirms with your local Police Services that they do not issue additional copies we will return your original police check to you using your supplied self addressed stamped envelope.
- One original Police Records Check VSS must be submitted (record your name, program and year on the envelope) by midnight July 31, 2018 or, if a returning student, prior to your current check expiring, directly to:
FHS Professionalism Office
1280 Main St. West, MDCL3514
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1
Att: Patricia Hartnett
Phone: 905-525-9140 ext 22249
Note: This copy will not be returned to you
- Keep your second Police Records Check VSS in a safe place in case you need to present it at placement site(s).
- Inform the Professionalism Office immediately if your Police Records Check VSS is 'Not Clear', so that we may work with you to determine the next steps.
- It is up to you, the student, to ensure you always have a current Police Records Check VSS which is valid for the entire duration of each placement. Be sure to submit your renewed police check to the Professionalism Office a minimum of 2 weeks before your current one expires (one year after date of issue)
Please visit our Police Records Check FAQ page.