How to update an existing web page in Contribute?
To create a new page on a website from a template, complete the following steps:
- Find the web page you want to update in one of 2 ways:
- Browse to the web page in the Contribute browser.
- When you are not editing a page, you are in browser mode in Contribute.
- If you are editing a page, click on Browser in the Draft console at the top left of the Contribute window to switch to browser mode.
- In broswer mode, click on the links in navigation bars or links on pages to find the page you want to edit. This is the same as you would do if you were finding a page in your web browser. You may even enter addresses in the address bar.
- Choose the web page by selecting it from the list of files on the web server.
- In browse mode, click the Choose button in the top right corner of the Contribute window.
- In the Choose File or Blog Entry dialog box, select the file for the page you want to enter. You browse and select files as you would, for example, in Windows Explorer. You may want to use the Choose feature when you know the page you want has not been linked into the navigation structure of the website. A page may be linked into the navigation structure either on of the navigation bars or as a link from another page in the website.
- After you have browsed to or chosen the web page, click the Edit button.
- The web page will now appear in Edit mode. Blue boxes indicate where you may enter content for the page. Each box has a name that appears above it on the top left. Areas outside of the blue boxes belong to the templates and may not be edited in Contribute.
A draft entry with the page title will be listed next to a draft icon under Pages in the Draft Console left panel. The draft will remain open until the page is either published or discarded, even if you close Contribute and continue working at another time. A copy of the draft will be saved on the server in a temparary location.
- The web page you will appear in the editing pane to the right of the draft console.
- You may now edit text, update images, update links to other websites or web pages within your website, update links to documents, add new images, add new links to websites or web pages within your website, and add new links to documents.
How to update an image with Contribute
- After you have updated the content on the page, you can test how the page will look in your browser by hitting F12 key (or selecting File -> Preview in Browser from the Contribute menu).
- You may check the spelling on the page by clicking the spelling icon on the Contribute toolbar.
- Save your work and continue at a later time by clicking the Save for Later button at the top of the pane. A copy of the draft will be saved on the server in a temparary location. To continue editing the page, click on the draft under Pages in the Draft Console left pane.
- Delete the draft of the page by clicking the Discard Draft button at the top of the editing pane. You will be asked to confirm that you want to discard the draft.
- Send an email with a link to the draft by clicking the Send for Review button at the top of the editing pane. (Note: Do not publish or discard the draft until the person sent the email has a chance to review it. Otherwise, the draft will not be available for review.)
- After you have updated and reviewed the content on the page, click the Publish button on the Contribute toolbar.
- A dialog box appears that says "Congratulations! You have successfully published the page". Check the box if you don't want this box to appear after you publish a page.
- The webpage and all other files that you have added (images, documents, etc.) have now been uploaded to the server and the draft of the page has been deleted.
- Now you may want to check how the page looks in your browser and test any links that you added to the content.