Dr. Brian Timmons
Ph: 905-521-2100 x 77218 or 77615
Dr. Timmons' Faculty profile with the Medical Sciences Graduate Program
Pediatric Exercise Medicine and Science
Exercise medicine, Physical activity and fitness, Inflammation, Metabolism, Temperature regulation
Research Program Overview
The Child Health & Exercise Medicine Program (//www.fhs.mcmaster.ca/chemp/)is devoted to studying the interaction of exercise and nutrition in the context of growth and development. We follow several lines of research ranging from optimization of clinical exercise testing and training in children with disease or disability to unraveling the molecular mechanisms that translate physical activity into optimal growth and development. Our approach is to combine basic science techniques with clinical research trials to facilitate the translation of physiological principles into clinical applications. The diversity of research in the Child Health and Exercise Medicine Program creates a unique training environment.
- School-aged Kids’ Health from Early Investment in Physical Activity: The SKIP Study
- Anti-inflammatory Mechanisms of Exercise during Human Growth
- Thermoregulatory Responses of Boys and Men during Exercise in the Heat
- Cardiovascular Health in Children with a Chronic Inflammatory Condition: Role of Physical Activity, Fitness and Inflammation
- LIFE and Health for Young Children with Congenital Heart Defects
Publications & Achievements
- Proudfoot NA, S King-Dowling, J Cairney, SR Bray, MJ MacDonald, BW Timmons.Physical Activity and Trajectories of Cardiovascular Health Indicators During Early Childhood. Pediatrics, 144(1):e20182242, 2019.doi: 10.1542/peds.2018-2242.Pubmed.
- Sharma B and BW Timmons.Pediatric Traumatic Brain Injury and Exercise Medicine: A Narrative Review.Ped Exerc Sci,doi: 10.1123/pes.2017-0286[Epub ahead of print], 2019.Pubmed.
- Spreafico F, M Murelli, BW Timmons, M Massimino, R Barr.Sport activities and exercise as part of routine cancer care in children and adolescents. Pediatr Blood Cancer, 66(8):e27826, 2019.doi: 10.1002/pbc.27826.Pubmed.
- Allison DJ, B Sharma, BW Timmons.The efficacy of anti-inflammatory treatment interventions on depression in individuals with major depressive disorder and high levels of inflammation: A systematic review of randomized clinical trials.Physiol Behav, 207:104-112, 2019.doi: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2019.05.006.Pubmed
- Chu L and BW Timmons.Nutritional Considerations for Sport Participation in Children and Adolescents With Obesity. Am J Lifestyle Med, 13(2): 129-137, 2019.doi: 10.1177/1559827617751684.Pubmed.
Phone: 905-521-2100 x77615
Title: Administrative Assistant
Natascja Di Cristofaro
Phone: 905-521-2100 x77566
Title: Research Coordinator