Dr. Grant is an Associate Professor and the first Associate Chair for Education with the Department of Pediatrics. She obtained her medical degree from McMaster University and completed her pediatric residency at the University of Western Ontario followed by her adolescent medicine fellowship at the Hospital for Sick Children (HSC). She has been a staff physician at McMaster’s Children’s Hospital since 2004.
Dr. Grant’s educational accomplishments span the full range of learners including undergraduate, postgraduate trainees and beyond to Continuing Health Professional Education and knowledge translation with the lay public. Christina was awarded the PAIRO Travel Award in 2009, allowing her to attend a prestigious course at the American Board of Internal Medicine for leaders in education. At a national level, Dr. Grant has been nominated for an excellence in teaching award by the Canadian Association for Adolescent Health and, for a CAME Certificate of Merit Award. Further, she has contributed significantly to education of the public through interviews with the media, news articles and public forums on issues such as Bullying and Eating Disorders.
In addition to these accomplishments Dr. Grant has established areas of clinical, research and education expertise, such as a Diabetes Transition Clinic at McMaster Children’s Hospital and a National Surveillance Study on Conversion Disorders. Currently, she is President of the Adolescent Section for the Canadian Pediatric Society.
- Transition and Care of the Adolescent with Type 1 Diabetes, Grant, C., Van Blyderveen, S., Punthakee, Z. (2007) (Lead Investigator) (Data Collection) NIF Funding Grant $20,000
- The utilization, utility and impact of a Transition Coordinator and the Youth Kit© among adolescents with chronic health conditions as they transition to adulthood. A pilot study. Punthakee, Z., Gorter, J., Brill, H., Don-Wauchope, A., Grant, C., Stewart, D., Rosenbaum, P. 2009 (Collaborator)
- Outcomes, Prognosis, and Treatment Trajectories for Adolescents Receiving Treatment for an Eating Disorder. Van Blyderveen, S. L., Findlay, S., Grant, C Webb, C., Couturier, J., Toombs, I. A., John-Carson, N., Johnson, N., & Green, T. 2009 (Data Collection) CHEO Center for Excellence Grant $30,000
- Patient Satisfaction and Therapeutic Alliance among Adolescents Receiving Family Based Treatment for an Eating Disorder. Van Blyderveen, S. L., Findlay, S., Webb, C., Couturier, J., Grant, C., & Kimber, M. 2009 (Data Collection)
- Conversion Disorders in Adolescent Medicine Practice, Krasnick, C., Findlay, S., Grant, C., (2008) (PI)
Publications & Achievements
- Pan, J., Punthakee, Z., Van Blyderveen, S., Grant, C. (2010). Substance Use Among Youth with Type 1 Diabetes. Society of Adolescent Medicine, Toronto, Canada, Poster Presentation.
- Krasnick, K., Findlay, S. Grant,C. (2010). Adolescent Conversion Disorders Presenting to an Adolescent Medicine Service. Society of Adolescent Medicine Meeting, Toronto, Canada, Poster, Presentation.
- Toews, H., Grant, C., Findlay, S. (2010) Case Series of Adolescents requiring GT for Typical and Atypical Eating Disorders. Society of Adolescent Medicine, Toronto, Canada, Poster Presentation.
- Dore, K., Reiter, H., Grant, C., Cullimore, A., Rolfson, D. (2009). The multiple mini-interview as a reliable and valid measure in the CaRMS selection process. Paper presentation: Innovations in Residency Education, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, Victoria, Canada.
- Grant, C., Elliott, A., Di Meglio G, Lane, M., Norris, M. What Teenagers Want: Tips on Working with Today’s Youth. Pediatrics and Child Heath, 2008;13(1)a:15-18. PA. (Clinical)
- Fitzpatrick, C., Grant, C: Bridging the gap: chronic illness in adolescence 2008; CAAH, E-Journal;17(2).
- Van Blyderveen, S. L., Findlay, S., Grant, C., Webb, C., Toombs, I. A., John-Carson, N., Johnson, N., Buttrum, S., & Graham, A. R. (2008). Considering prognosis for adolescents receiving treatment for an eating disorder. In paper symposium Treating Eating Disorders During Adolescence: Outcomes, Prognosis, and Future Directions. Chairs C. Webb & S. Van Blyderveen. Presentation: Society for Research on Adolescence Biennial Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
- Van Blyderveen, S. L., Findlay, S., Grant, C., Webb, C., Toombs, I. A., John-Carson, N., Johnson, N., Buttrum, S., & Graham, A. R. (2008). Considering prognosis for adolescents receiving treatment for anorexia nervosa. Paper presentation: Academy of Eating Disorders, Washington, Seattle, USA.
- Toombs, I., Smith, D., Seifried, P., Van Blyderveen, S., Findlay, S., & Grant, C (2008). Using body mass index percentiles to predict weight at menarche or resumption of menses in teenagers. Paper presentation: Academy of Eating Disorders, Washington, Seattle, USA.