How to Apply
Applicants should be aware that applications for some external scholarships including CIHR and NSERC must be submitted during the year PRIOR commencing graduate studies.
To promote and ensure equitable admissions to the Medical Sciences graduate program, we have instituted a facilitated admissions process for Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit and Métis) applicants. In accordance with the Self-Identification policy of the Faculty of Health Sciences, Indigenous applicants who wish to apply through this stream must complete the supplementary Self-identification Application. Information on the policy, application requirements and the online application can be found here.
All documents (including reference letters and transcripts) must be received by the submission deadline date.
Only completed applications are reviewed.
Entrance Scholarships - Sunday March 31 2019 for high academic achievements: $1,000 for students holding an average grade of A- or higher (based on admission GPA).
Only applicants that complete their applications by the Early Deadline date will be eligible for the Entrance Scholarship.
- Check our website to review program’s specific requirements and request/collect/complete all documentation based on the list provided below.
- Apply on-line. The application takes 30-40 minutes to complete.
Pay a $110.00 application fee. At the end of your on-line application the system will prompt you to make a payment.
This fee is non-refundable and must be paid in Canadian dollars by means of a credit card or Interac payment. The Student Accounts and Cashiers website indicates acceptable methods of payment.
Your application will not be considered for admission until your application fee payment has been processed.
- Completed applications are reviewed and assessed by the Medical Sciences Admissions Committee. Graduate faculty members who are interested in supervising a student are informed of admissible applicants by the program staff. Please note that only completed applications are reviewed.
Applicants are not required to find a supervisor before applying. Once an applicant's status has been updated to read "Deemed Admissible by the Program", they are encouraged to contact potential supervisors. The complete list of Medical Sciences faculty members can be found under the "Faculty Research" page.
Please note that it is the applicant's responsibility to monitor their status via the online application system.
- Once a potential supervisor has agreed to have you join his/her lab, the faculty member will communicate with the Medical Sciences program officers to provide a recommendation to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS). If your application is deemed eligible by the School of Graduate Studies, you will receive a formal letter of offer via email. All applicants are expected to respond within the specified time to the School of Graduate Studies and the Medical Sciences Graduate Program when accepting or declining an offer. Applicants may be accepted conditionally before completing their present degree.
- Official transcripts of all academic work completed to date sent directly from the issuing institution(s). Please note, McMaster students must also submit transcripts; our program does not pull transcripts internally.
- Two academic references from faculty members (to be submitted confidentially through the online application system).
It is recommended that applicants seek their references from professors who can judge their qualifications in science and practical lab training. Ideally, the references should be obtained from their supervisors of thesis projects or work experience in the laboratory.
Reference letters from Graduate Students, Employers, Post Doctorate Fellows or Lab Technicians will not be considered.
- Research Questionnaire and Statement of Interest (may be submitted through the online system, via mail, email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or in-person). Please note, the Mosaic system will not prompt you to include this document, as it is required by our program only, so please ensure it is submitted in order for your application to be reviewed.
- Curriculum vitae (may be submitted via mail, the online system, email to: email@example.com or in-person).
- Proof of Language proficiency is required if English is not the first language of the applicant (i.e. TOEFL with a minimum score of 92, IELTS with a minimum score of 7.0, MELAB). No exceptions.
All documents should be sent directly to:
Medical Science Graduate Program
1280 Main Street West
L8S 4K1, Canada
NOTE: if not using regular mail, please send supporting documentation by courier rather than registered mail. Delivery delays are likely to occur with registered mail.
Material sent to support an application cannot be returned.