MD, BS, D. Phil, FRCP (UK), FRCP (C), FACC
Societal & biologic determinants of diseases and evaluation of therapies in humans, with special focus on cardiovascular diseases, obesity, and diabetes.
Specific topics currently under investigation:
- Role of various treatments and nutritional supplements in the prevention of atherosclerosis and major vascular events
- Role of antithrombotic drugs
- Prevention of complications of diabetes
- Ethnic and international variations in heart disease with reference to biological markers, nutrition and psychosocial factors
- Impact of urbanization on health
- Childhood risk factors
The general methodology that we have used has been the conduct of small and large randomized trials, large case-control and cohort studies, detailed physiological investigations, meta-analyses of previously published studies and analysis of national mortality data.
Physiology & Pharmacology
Epidemiology, Cardiovascular Disease, Ethnicity, Clinical Trials
- Evidence Relating Sodium Intake to Blood Pressure and CVD. O'Donnell M, Mente A, Yusuf S.
Curr Cardiol Rep. 2014 Oct;16(10):529. doi: 10.1007/s11886-014-0529-9.
- The Preventive Potential of Common, Easily Measured Risk Factors for Cardiovascular Disease.
McQueen MJ, Yusuf S. Clin Chem. 2014 Nov;60(11):1450-1451. Epub 2014 Sep 11. Review. No abstract available.
Response to letter regarding article, "Management and outcomes of major bleeding during treatment with dabigatran or warfarin". Majeed A, Hwang HG, Connolly SJ, Eikelboom JW, Ezekowitz MD, Wallentin L, Brueckmann M, Fraessdorf M, Yusuf S, Schulman S. Circulation. 2014 Sep 2;130(10):e95. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.114.010280. No abstract available.