To create a pictorial history of McMaster's Faculty of Health Sciences by honouring alumni, faculty and staff who have brought distinction and recognition to McMaster University and the Faculty of Health Sciences through their outstanding achievement.
Annually, up to five individuals may be selected for inclusion in the Community of Distinction.
The successful nominee will satisfy one of the following:
- Distinguished contribution in scholarship, or
- Conspicuous contribution in the science or delivery of health care, or
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership that is recognized by his/her peers
Recognition in the Community of Distinction is open to former full-time and part-time faculty, staff and alumni of the Faculty of Health Sciences. The candidates cannot be currently employed or hold a contract with the Faculty of Health Sciences.
The Community of Distinction Award Committee will be made up of the following individuals from the faculty of Health Sciences: Associate Vice-President, Academic; Associate Dean, Research; Associate Dean, Nursing; Associate Dean, Rehabilitation Sciences; Associate Dean, Clinical Services; Presidents of Alumni Branches; Chair, FHS Managers Group; Director, Public Relations. The Director, Public Relations is the Committee Chair. A quorum for a Committee meeting shall be four in attendance in addition to the Chair.
- In the spring of each year, there will be a call for nominations:
2016 Call for nominations to the Community of Distinction
- Nominations must be e-mailed to an address indicated in the Call for Nominations no later than the deadline set out in the Call for Nominations.
- The nominator must indicate whether the nomination is for an individual or a team, and must attach a supporting narrative of not more than seven-hundred and fifty (750) words. A few graphics or pictures (not of the nominee) to illustrate the contribution are allowed by attachment.
- Each nomination must be supported by a minimum of two (2), and not more than four (4) references, who must also submit their nomination support, either through the nominator, or independently in an e-mail format. References should not exceed one-hundred and fifty (150) words.
- Please include a curriculum vitae (CV) for the nominee.
- Position and contact information for the nominator and all references must be clearly indicated and must reference the name of the individual being nominated.
- Nominations of candidates who are not selected for induction the first time they are nominated will be carried forward for a three (3) year period.
Nominations and references should be submitted to:
Telephone: (905) 525-9140, extension 20914
For more information, please contact Betty Chung.
The individuals selected to be honoured will be notified by the Dean and Vice-President and will be invited to attend a special reception in their honour.
The Community of Distinction program will be managed by the Faculty of Health Sciences Advancement Office.