Title: Ethics in Transfusion Medicine and Hematology
Methods: Case discussion
Aims and objectives:
- Recognize some ethical issues relevant in Transfusion Medicine and Hematology
- Demonstrate understanding of informed consent and critical analysis of the concept.
- Describe the features of ethical decision-making in resource allocation.
Case part 1: Consent for blood products
Tracy Callier is a bright 11 year old who, tragically, was hit by a car on her walk home from school on an icy country road. She needs emergency surgery and a blood transfusion due to a substantial loss of blood. Her parents arrived soon after the ambulance brought Tracy in to the small community hospital where you work.
Suggested questions for discussion:
- Do you need to seek consent to transfuse Tracy
- Who can give informed consent in this case?
- What factors might make informed consent more complicated in this case?
- What if Tracy’s parents had not arrived on time?
- Availability of blood for transfusion
- Do you need to seek consent for the transfusion as part of the surgery?
- What information would be necessary to share to provide adequate informed consent for the transfusion?