Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences
Cisco Research Chair in Bioinformatics
905-525-9140 ext. 21663
Visit Andrew McArthur's Homepage
- Biological database design and predictive analytics, particularly in the areas of antimicrobial drug resistance and molecular epidemiology
- Comprehensive Antibiotic Resistance Database (arpcard.mcmaster.ca)
- Development of Integrated Health Biosystems research at McMaster University, bridging data-intensive biomedical research and clinical healthcare
- Bioinformatics workflows and Cloud computing for gene expression, gene regulation, and population genomics
- Next generation DNA sequence analysis, genome assembly, and genome annotation
- Molecular phylogenetics and phylogenomics
- Ecotoxicogenomics of environmental contaminants (metals, organics, pharmaceuticals) using zebrafish, mouse, and other model systems.
The McArthur laboratory’s research program is rooted in bioinformatics, functional genomics, and computational biology. It spans complex informatics approaches to the functional genomics of microbial drug resistance, development of biological databases, next generation sequencing for genome assembly and molecular epidemiology, automated literature curation approaches, controlled vocabularies for biological knowledge integration, and functional genomics approaches in environmental toxicology. As part of our Cisco funded program, we additionally research the use and generation of ‘Big Data’ in the biomedical sciences, with the goal of integrating biomedical research and clinical healthcare.
- Jia, B., A.R. Raphenya, B. Alcock, N. Waglechner, P. Guo, K.K. Tsang, B.A. Lago, B.M. Dave, S. Pereira, A.N. Sharma, S. Doshi, M. Courtot, R. Lo, L.E. Williams, J.G. Frye, T. Elsayegh, D. Sardar, E.L. Westman, A.C. Pawlowski, T.A. Johnson, F.S.L. Brinkman, G.D. Wright, & A.G. McArthur. 2017. CARD 2017: expansion and model-centric curation of the Comprehensive Antibiotic Resistance Database. Nucleic Acids Research, 45, D566-573.
- Klein, J.A., B.M. Dave, N. Green, A.R. Raphenya, A.G. McArthur, L.A. Knodler. 2017. Functional relatedness in the Inv/Mxi-Spa Type III secretion system family. Molecular Microbiology, 103, 973-991.
- McArthur, A.G. & K.K. Tsang. 2017. Antimicrobial resistance surveillance in the genomic age. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1388, 78-91.
- Dearborn, D.C., A.B. Gager, A.G. McArthur, M.E. Gilmour, E. Mandzhukova, & R.A. Mauck. 2016. Gene duplication and divergence produce divergent MHC genotypes without disassortative mating. Molecular Ecology, 25, 4355-67.
- Ni, X., J.H. Davis, A. Motahhari1, A. Razi1, S. Benlekbir, A.G. McArthur, J. Rubinstein, R. Britton, J.R. Williamson, & J. Ortega. 2016. YphC and YSxC GTPases contribute to the maturation of the central protuberance and functional core of the 50S ribosomal subunit. Nucleic Acids Research, 44, 8442-55.
- Pawlowski, A.C., W. Wang, K. Koteva, H.A. Barton, A.G. McArthur, & G.D. Wright. 2016. A diverse intrinsic antibiotic resistome from a cave bacterium. Nature Communications, 7, 13803.
- Williams, L.M, B.A. Lago, A.G. McArthur, A.R. Raphenya, N. Pray, N. Saleem, S. Salas, K. Paulson, R.S. Mangar, Y. Liu, A.H. Vo, & J.A. Shavit. 2016. The transcription factor, Nuclear factor, erythroid 2 (Nfe2), is a regulator of the oxidative stress response during Danio rerio development. Aquatic Toxicology, 180, 141-154.
- Dearborn D.C., A.B. Gager, M.E. Gilmour, A.G. McArthur, D.A. Hinerfeld, & R.A. Mauck. 2015. Non-neutral evolution and reciprocal monophyly of two expressed Mhc class II β genes in Leach’s storm-petrel. Immunogenetics, 67, 111-123.
- Dhillon, B.K., M.R. Laird, J.A. Shay, G.L. Winsor, R. Lo, F. Nizam, S.K. Pereira, N. Waglechner, A.G. McArthur, M.G.I. Langille, & F.S.L. Brinkman. 2015. IslandViewer 3: more flexible, interactive genomic island discovery, visualization and analysis. Nucleic Acids Research, 43(W1), W104-8.
- Freschi, L., J. Jeukens, I. Kukavica-Ibrulj, B. Boyle, M.-J. Dupont, J. Laroche, S. Larose, H. Maaroufi, J.L. Fothergill, M. Moore, G.L. Winsor, S.D Aaron, J. Barbeau, S.C. Bell, J.L. Burns, M. Camara, A. Cantin, S.J.Charette, K. Dewar, E. Déziel, K. Grimwood, R.E.W. Hancock, J.J. Harrison, S. Heeb, L. Jelsbak, B. Jia, D.T. Kenna, T.J. Kidd, J. Klockgether, J.S. Lam, I.L. Lamont, S. Lewenza, N. Loman, F. Malouin, J. Manos, A.G. McArthur, J. McKeown, J. Milot, H. Naghra, D. Nguyen, S.K. Pereira, G.G. Perron, J.-P. Pirnay, P.B. Rainey, S. Rousseau, P.M. Santos, A. Stephenson, V. Taylor, J.F. Turton, N. Waglechner, P. Williams, S.W. Thrane, G.D. Wright, F.S.L. Brinkman, N.P. Tucker, B. Tümmler, C. Winstanley, & R.C. Levesque. 2015. Clinical exploitation of genomics data produced by the international Pseudomonas aeruginosa consortium: the 1000 genomes project. Frontiers in Microbiology, 6, 01036.
- Graham, C.F., T.C. Glenn, A.G. McArthur, D.R. Boreham, T. Kieran, S. Lance, R.G. Manson, J.A. Martino, T. Pierson, S.M. Rogers, J.Y. Wilson, & C.M. Somers. 2015. Impacts of degraded DNA on restriction enzyme associated DNA sequencing (RADSeq). Molecular Ecology Resources, 15, 1304-15.
- McArthur, A.G. & G.D. Wright. 2015. Bioinformatics of antimicrobial resistance in the age of molecular epidemiology. Current Opinion in Microbiology, 27, 45-50.