HOME McMaster University
Department of Surgery
Welcome to the Department of Surgery at McMaster University. Our large faculty contributes extensively to the department's ability to provide specialty care for Hamilton and the surrounding communities through St. Joseph's Healthcare and the Hamilton Health Sciences.
Committed to integrating innovative clinical care, world-leading research and outstanding educational resources, the Department of Surgery aspires to continue to be a leading department in academic surgery nationally and internationally.
MESSAGEFrom the Academic Chair,
Dr. Susan Reid
Welcome to the Academic Department of Surgery!
As the sixth chair of the department, my goal is to continue the legacy of academic excellence exemplified by its inaugural chair, Dr. C. Barber Mueller, in 1967. At that time, the department’s faculty consisted of four assistant professors; it now encompasses 97 full-time and over 200 part-time and adjunct faculty. Many changes have taken place in the department over the decades, including a change in its executive committee, which now includes an Associate Chair of Education (Dr. Stephen Kelly) and an Associate Chair of Research (Dr. Mohit Bhandari); however, the department’s dedication to the pursuit of high quality clinical service, education, research and clinical scholarship remains the same.
- Dr. Aristithes Doumouras (R3) receives the Juravinski Fellowship
- Dr. Paul Lysecki (R5) has the top score in Canada for the Canadian Association of General Surgery Exams.
- Dr. Paul Lysecki(R5) receives the Hamilton Health Sciences Medical Staff Association (MSA) Resident of the Year Award
- Dr. Nathan Evaniew has been awarded a Frederick Banting and Charles Best Canada Graduate Scholarships Doctoral Award from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Dr. Vasudha Gupta (R5) receives the Dr. Sher Research Award at the First Annual Ophthalmology Resident Research Day