Thank you for your interest in doing an elective at McMaster University. Information, forms and accommodations can be found here.
- Resident — a trainee who is registered at a university/medical school, in a residency training program
- Elective — a non-mandatory component of training
- Visiting — trainee is coming from another university to “visit” McMaster for a defined period of time
- Preceptor/Supervisor - most responsible physician
You are responsible for arranging your own elective/preceptor. If you are looking for a preceptor there are some helpful resources available.
To do an Elective at a Hamilton Teaching Hospital
Teaching Hospitals: Hamilton Health Sciences or St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton
If you are looking for a preceptor, you may contact the Program Assistant of the specialty in which you are seeking the elective. Program Assistant Listing.
Once confirmed by the program the PGME Visiting Electives Application form must be submitted to the PGME Office
at least 4 to 6 weeks prior to the scheduled elective.
For Out-of-Province Learners, form must be submitted at least 8 to 10 weeks prior to start dates (for licensing purposes). PGME will then issue a Confirmation of Appointment letter (required for CPSO licensing). Please note that applications to McMaster University postgraduate medical education departments for elective training must not exceed 15 weeks in duration.
For Out-of-Province Learners, please also submit the entire McMaster Health Screening Record (McMaster PG Health Screening Record) and supporting documentation directly to the McMaster Health Screening Office (not the PG Program Office) no later than 8 weeks prior to the program start date. Start early and submit on time even if all the requirements are not completed.
You must come to the PGME Office prior to your start date to register. An email regarding registration will be sent out to you with the details. It will include instructions along with directions to the PGME office. Registration will include:
- Parking & Paging Approval Letters
- HHS/SJH Computer Access & Dictation Passwords
- Scrubex Access
- Photo ID Badge
- Information on accommodation in the Hamilton Area can be found at this link.
To request an Elective in our Mac-CARE Region (Niagara, Waterloo, Grand Erie Six Nations, Halton)
Contact Mac-CARE to arrange your elective.
- When completed, it will automatically be directed to regional Mac-CARE Coordinator at Campus location of your first choice.
- When a placement is confirmed by our Campus Education Coordinators , it will be necessary to register this placement with the Postgrad Office by completing the Visiting Electives Application
If you need any additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Ontario Community Placement Programs & ROMP Region (South Central Ontario)