Director of Surgical Outcomes Resource Centre
Associate Member, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics
101-206 James Street South
Administrative Support Staff:
Phone (905) 523-0019
Fax (905) 523-0229
- Trauma of the hand
- Elective hand surgery
- Microsurgical reconstruction of the head and neck area after cancer resection.
- Aesthetic surgery
- Outcomes research in hand and breast reduction surgery
- Utility measurement in surgery
- Actively involved in publications of series of articles in Canadian Journal of Surgery on Evidence Based Surgery
- Participating in workshops to disseminate evidence-based principles to surgeons
- B.Sc., McMaster University
- M.Sc., McMaster University
- M.D., McMaster University
- General Surgery Residency, McMaster University
- Plastic Surgery Residency, McMaster University
Head and Neck Surgery, McMaster University
- McLaughlin Fellow in Reconstructive Microsurgery. University of Louisville (USA)
- McLaughlin Fellow in Hand surgery, University of Louisville (USA)
- Director of Teaching, Microsurgery Laboratory, St. Joseph's Father Sean O'Sullivan Research Centre, St. Joseph's Healthcare
- Active Staff and Consultant Plastic Surgeon, Active Appointment at St. Joseph's Healthcare Hamilton with courtesy privileges in Civic Hamilton Hospitals and Chedoke-McMaster Hospitals
- Thoma A, Wong VH, Sprague S, Duku E. A cost-utility analysis of open and endoscopic carpal tunnel release. Can J Plast Surg. 2006;15:15-20.
- O’Grady K, Thoma A, Dal Cin A. A comparison of complication rates in large and small inferior pedicle reduction mammaplasty: Letter to the Editor Plast Reconstr Surg. 2006;118:275-276.
- Thoma A, Chew R, Sprague S, Veltri K. Application of the CONSORT statement to randomized controlled trials comparing endoscopic and open carpal tunnel release. Can J Plast Surg, 2006;14(4):205-210.
- El-Sheikh Y, Thoma A, Wong I, Farrokhyar F. Diagnosis of finger flexor pulley injury in rock climbers: A systematic review. Can J Plast Surg. 2006;14(4):227-231.
- Thoma A, Sprague S, Veltri K, Duku E, Furlong W. A prospective study of patients undergoing breast reduction surgery: Health-related quality of life and clinical outcomes. Plast Reconstr Surg. 120(1):13-26, 2007.
- Mastracci TM. Cina CS, Thoma A, Farrokhyar F. User’s Guide to the Surgical Literature: How to Use a Decision Analysis. Can J Surg. 50(5): 403-9, 2007.
- Cugno S, Sprague S, Duku E, Thoma A. Composite tissue allotransplantation of the face: Decision analysis model. Can J Plast Surg. 2007:15(3):145-152.
- Thoma A. Evidence-based Plastic Surgery: Design, Measurement, and Evaluation. Clin Plastic Surg. 35(2):ix, 2008.
- Thoma A, McKnight L, McKay P, Haines T. Forming the Research Question Design, Measurement, and Evaluation. Clin Plastic Surg. 35(2):189, 2008
- Sprague S, McKay P, Thoma A. Study Designs and the Hierarchy of Evidence in Clinical Practice. Clin Plastic Surg. 35(2):195, 2008.
- Haines T, McKnight L, Duku E, Thoma A. The Role of Systematic Reviews in Clinical Research and Practice. Clin Plastic Surg. 35(2):207, 2008.
- Ching S, Rockwell G, Thoma A. Clinical Research in Aesthetic Surgery. Clin Plastic Surg. 35(2):269, 2008.
- Thoma A, Archibald S, Temple C, Sprague S. The Role of the Randomized Controlled Trial in Plastic Surgery. Clin Plastic Surg. 35(2):275, 2008
- Thoma A, Rockwell G, Strumas N, McKnight L. The Use of Cost-effectiveness Analysis in Plastic Surgery Clinical Research. Clin Plastic Surg. 35(2):285, 2008
- Thoma A, Haines T, Duku E, McKnight L, Goldsmith C. Becoming a Successful Clinical Investigator. Clin Plastic Surg. 35(2):305, 2008.
- Thoma A, Cornacchi S, Lovrics P, Goldsmith C. User’s Guide to the Surgical Literature: How to Assess an Article on Health-Related Quality of Life. Can J Surg. 51(3):215-24, 2008.
- Thoma A, Jansen L, Sprague S, Duku E. A cost-utility analysis: comparison of deep inferior epigastric perforator flap and superior inferior epigastric artery flap. Can J Plast Surg. 16(2):215-24, 2008.
- Card A, Khalidi N, Clements-Baker M, Thoma A. Churg-Strauss syndrome and revascularization of the hand: a case report. J Rheumatol. 35(5):941-3, 2008.
- Cadeddu M Farrokhyar F, Thoma A, Haines T, Garnett A, Goldsmith CH. Users’ guide to the surgical literature: how to assess power and sample size. Can J Surg. 51(6):476-82, 2008.
- Shortt R, Thoma A. Empiric antibiotics use in soft tissue infections. Can J Plast Surg. 16(4): 201-4, 2008.
- Thoma A, McKnight L, Knight C. The Use of Economic Evaluation in Hand Surgery. Hand Clin 25:113–123, 2009.
- Voineskos S, Ayeni B, McKnight L, Thoma A. Systematic Review of Skin Graft Donor Site Dressings. Plast Reconstr Surg. 124(1):298-306, 2009.
- Mitchell R, Chesney A, Seal S, McKnight L, Thoma A. Anatomical variations of the carpal tunnel structures. Can J Plast Surg 17(3): e3-9, 2009.
- Thoma A, Jansen L, Sprague S. Outcomes in Microsugery. Plast Reconstr Surg. 124(6S): 303e-312e, 2009.
- Farrokhyar F, Karanicolas PJ, Thoma A, Simunovic M, Bhandari M, Devereaux PJ, Anvari M, Adili A, Guyatt G. Randomized controlled trials of surgical interventions. Ann Surg. 251(3): 409-416, 2010.
- Thoma A, McKnight L. Quality adjusted life year (QALY) as a surgical outcome measure. A primer for plastic surgeons. Plast Reconstr Surg. 125(4): 1279-1287, 2010.
- Dickson L, Kattan A, Thoma A Two technique reconstruction following traumatic scalp avulsion; replantation and composite graft. Plast Reconstr Surg. 125(4): 151e-152e, 2010.
- Thoma A, Farrokhyar F, McKnight L, Bhandari M. Practical tips for surgical research: How to optimize patient recruitment. Can J Surg 53(3): 205-210, 2010.
- Al-Shiji TF, Karanoglou N, Thoma A, Prowse C, Comondore V, Orovan W, Piercey K, Whelan P, Winter L, Matsumoto ED. A Cost Analysis Comparison of Laparoscopic Radical Prostatectomy versus Open Radical Prostatectomy: The McMaster Institute of Urology Experience, CUAJ 4(4): 237-241, 2010.
- Cano S, Klassen AF, Scott A, Thoma A, Feeny D, Pusic A. Health outcomes and economic measurement in breast cancer surgery: challenges and opportunities. Expert Rev Pharmacoeconomics Outcomes Res 10(5): 583-594, 2010.
- Vartija L, Thoma A. Making the V-Y advancement flap safer in fingertip amputations. Can J Plast Surg 18(4): e47-e49, 2010.
- Farrokhyar F, Thoma A. Surgical Randomized-Controlled Trials and CONSORT 2010. Ann Surg 253(3): 633-635, 2011.