Research Program Overview
We implement a bedside-to-bench side approach to research and clinical care, and have clinical and translational studies to address specific research questions related to maintaining health and managing diabetes.
The broad theme of the research program is to understand why children develop diabetes, and to design interventions to treat and prevent diabetes.
The specific focus of Dr. Samaan’s program of research include the following platforms
- Understanding the risk factors driving pediatric diabetes
- Investigate the biological, psychological and social determinants of pediatric diabetes
- Implementing interventions to manage and prevent diabetes in children
- Knowledge Translation (KT) through systematic synthesis and interpretation of the evidence
The clinical studies focus on understanding what keeps children healthy, and what environmental and psychosocial factors increase the risk of diabetes. We work with several pediatric populations at risk of diabetes, and collaborate with many clinical services within McMaster Children’s Hospital, as well as in our region, nationally and internationally.
The bench studies use a state-of-the-art molecular and cell biology platforms to define mechanisms responsible for the development of diabetes. We also evaluate the pathways through which interventions achieve their targets of improving health. An important component of this platform is the investigation of the role of immune system activation and inflammation in driving diabetes in children and across the lifespan.
The clinical and laboratory platforms synergize to help us design novel treatment and prevention strategies to manage diabetes. This includes novel concepts in treatment delivery, and treatments to modify biological pathways to alter the course of diabetes. In addition, the design and implementation of clinical interventions are informed by the biological, psychological and social data and distilled to individual patient level, and personalization of care is the cornerstone of improving outcomes in children with or at risk of diabetes.
Knowledge translation is achieved via the conduct of systematic reviews. This platform dedicated to answering clinical and translational questions about the broader theme of child health, with focus on diabetes.
Publications & Achievements
- M. Constantine Samaan, Sonia S. Anand, Imtiaz Samjoo, Arya M. Sharma, Ashley Bonner, Joseph Beyene, Mark Tarnopolsky. Adiposity and immune-muscle crosstalk in South Asians & Europeans: A cross-sectional study. Scientific Reports; 5: 14251, October 2015
- M Constantine Samaan, Noori Akhtar-Danesh. The impact of age and race on longevity in pediatric astrocytic tumors: A population-based study: Age, Race, & Longevity in Pediatric Astrocytic Tumors. Pediatric Blood & Cancer 04/2015; DOI:10.1002/pbc.25522
- Samaan, M.C., Anand, S.S, Sharma, A.M., Bonner, A., Samjoo, I., Tarnopolsky, M. Sex differences in skeletal muscle Phosphatase and tensin homolog deleted on Chromosome 10(PTEN) levels: A Cross-sectional study. Scientific Reports, 2015 Mar 17;5:9154. doi: 10.1038/srep09154.
Dennis,B., Samaan,M.C., Bawor,M., Paul,J., Plater,C., Pare,G., Worster,A., Varenbut,M., Daiter,J., Marsh,D.C., Desai,D., Thabane,L., Samaan,Z. Evaluation of Clinical and Inflammatory Profile in Opioid Addiction Patients With Comorbid Pain: Results From a Multicenter Investigation. neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment 2015:11 72785.
- Bawor,M., Dennis,B., Samaan, M.C., Plater,.C,. Worster,A., Varenbut,.M,. Daiter,J., Marsh,D., Desai,D. Steiner,M, Anglin,R., Coote,M., Pare,G., Thabane,L. Samaan,Z. Methadone induces testosterone suppression in patients with opioid addiction. Scientific Reports 4, doi:10.1038/srep06189. Aug 2014.
- Samaan,M.C., Valencia,M., Cheung,C., Wilk,B,. Lau.K., Thabane,L. The Design, Implementation and evaluation of Pediatric & Adolescent Type 2 diabetes Management Program in a Tertiary Pediatric Center. Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare. 7: 321-331. Jul 2014.
- Hayley M O'Neill, James S Lally, Sandra Galic, Melissa Thomas, Paymon D Azizi, Morgan D Fullerton, Brennan K Smith, Thomas Pulinilkunnil, Zhiping Chen, M Constantine Samaan, Sebastian B Jorgensen, Jason R B Dyck, Graham P Holloway, Thomas J Hawke, Bryce J van Denderen, Bruce E Kemp, Gregory R Steinberg. AMPK phosphorylation of ACC2 is required for skeletal muscle fatty acid oxidation and insulin sensitivity in mice. Diabetologia 06/2014; 57(8). DOI:10.1007/s00125-014-3273-1.
- M Constantine Samaan, Katrin Scheinemann, Sarah Burrow, Rejane F Dillenburg, Ronald D Barr, Kuan-Wen Wang, Marlie Valencia, Lehana Thabane. Recruitment feasibility to a cohort study of endocrine and metabolic health among survivors of childhood brain tumours: a report from the Canadian study of Determinants of Endometabolic Health in ChIlDrEn (CanDECIDE). BMJ Open 06/2014; 4(6):e005295. DOI:10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005295
- Samaan, M.C., Xia, J, Badhiwala, J. Mechanisms and Drivers of Type 2 Diabetes in Children and Adolescents. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research. 4(23):4054-4064, 2014
- Samaan,M.C. Prader Willi Syndrome: Genetics & Neurobehavioral phenotype-genotype correlations. Current Psychiatry Reviews 2014, Vol.10, Pages 153-166.
- Samaan,M.C., Marcinko,K., Fullerton,M., Khan,M.I., Ziafazeli,T., Steinberg,G. Chronic Endurance Interval Training In Obese Mice reduces Muscle Macrophage Inflammation Independently Of Weight Loss. Physiological Reports. 2014 May 19;2(5). pii: e12012. 12.
- Klassen, A., Grant, C., Tsangaris,E., Wickert, N., Brill, H., Barr, R., Samaan, M.C., Gorter, J. Validation of a Unique Scale to Measure Transition Readiness in Adolescents with Chronic Health Conditions. Child Care Health Dev. 2015 Jul; 41(4):547-58
- Dennis,B., Samaan, M.C., Bawor,M., Paul,J., Plater,C., Pare,G., Worster,A., VArenbut,M., Daiter,J., Marsh,D., Desai,D., Thabane,L., Samaan,Z., Evaluation of Clinical and Inflammatory Profile in Opioid Addiction Patients with Comorbid Pain: Results from a Multi-Centre Investigation.?Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment.? 2014 Nov 19;10:2239-47.
- Samaan, M.C. Management of Type 2 Diabetes in Children & Adolescents. The International Journal of Pediatrics. Int J Pediatr. 2013; 2013:972034.
- M Constantine Samaan, Lehana Thabane, Sarah Burrow, Rejane F Dillenburg, Katrin Scheinemann. Canadian Study of Determinants of Endometabolic Health in ChIlDrEn (CanDECIDE study): a cohort study protocol examining the mechanisms of obesity in survivors of childhood brain tumours. BMJ Open 06/2013; 3(6). DOI:10.1136/bmjopen-2013-002869
- Samaan,M.C., Obeid,J., Nguyen,T., Timmons,B. Chemokine C-C Ligand 2 is a potential biomarker of inflammation & Physical Fitness in Obese Children: A Cross-Sectional Study. BMC Pediatric 2013, 13:47.
- Samaan, M.C. The macrophage at the intersection of immunity and metabolism in obesity. Diabetology & Metabolic Syndrome 2011: Oct 28;3(1):29.
- Yu J, Shi L, Wang H, Bilan PJ, Yao Z, Samaan MC, He Q, Klip A, Niu W. Conditioned Medium from Hypoxia-Treated Adipocytes Renders Muscle Cells Insulin Resistant. Eur J Cell Biol. (Epub ahead of print);Volume 90, Issue 12, pages 1000-1015. Dec 2011.
- Phillip J. Bilan, Victor Samokhvalov, Alexandra Koshkina, Jonathan D. Schertzer, M. C. Samaan, Amir Klip. Direct and macrophage -mediated actions of fatty acids causing insulin resistance in muscle cells. Archives of Physiology & Biochemistry; 115(4): 176-90. Oct 2009.
Phone: 905-521-2100 x 73716
Title: Administrative Assistant