Department of Pediatrics Research Program Themes
Research conducted within the Department of Pediatrics has been categorized into 5 thematic programs, as outlined below. By clicking on each program theme you will see the faculty members whose research programs address a clinical or
basic science aspect of that theme. Due to the
multi-disciplinary nature of research
conducted by individual faculty members, their research may apply to more than one theme. Details of specific areas of research may be accessed by visiting the individual researcher's page.
- Determinants of Health and Disease
- Researchers in this theme addresses the causes of disease and the influence of health by evaluating clinical and molecular markers using a variety of “cutting edge” research methodologies
- Mechanism of Disease & Disability
- Researchers in this theme focus on uncovering specific cellular and molecular pathways related to disease processes.
- Innovative Management of Childhood Disease
- Researchers in this theme focus on the development of innovative treatment strategies to manage a broad range of pediatric diseases. This includes clinical trials designed to validate novel therapeutic strategies.
- Health and Quality of Life Outcomes
Research in this theme aims to gain a better understanding of the impact of disease and consequences of
on quality of life of children both during and after remission of disease.
- Knowledge Translation and Education
- Researchers in this theme focus on effective transmission of scientific knowledge to patients, families, politicians and other clinicians. This is critical to implementing changes that will improve the health of children.
Research in this theme also focuses on the development of innovative teaching strategies