Research Program Overview
One theme of my research is on developing, validating and using Patient Reported Outcome (PRO) measures, e.g., quality of life , patient satisfaction, family--centred care. Most of my research in PRO development has been in the specialty of plastic surgery. A second theme, for which I recently received a 5-year CIHR Mid-Career Award in Women’s Health, focuses on caregiving research. I’m also very interested in quality improvement research.
- 2010-2011Assessing the Needs of Adolescents and Young Adults with Cancer in the Hamilton Region: A Qualitative Study.
- 2010-2011 Exploring the Barriers to Successful Transition to Adult Care Among Childhood Cancer Survivors
- 2009-2011 Caring for a Child with Cancer: Understanding Single Parent Families' Experiences
- 2009-2011 – Improving transition to follow-up care in childhood cancer survivors: development of a questionnaire to measure transition readiness
- 2008 – 2011 — Developing a Framework and Indicators for Pediatric Oncology Services
- 2009-2010 What factors are important for understanding quality of life of children with cancer?
Publications & Achievements
- Klassen AF, Cano SJ, Soldin M, Thoma A, Robson S, Kaur M, Pusic AL. An International Study to Develop and Validate the BODY-Q: A Patient-Reported Outcome Instrument for use in Obesity, Bariatric Treatment and Body Contouring. PRS Global. 13 April 2016
- Cohen WA, Mundy L, Ballard TN, Klassen AF, Cano SJ, Browne J, Pusic AL. The BREAST-Q in surgical research: a review of the literature 2009-2015. JPRAS 2016; Feb; 69(2):149-62.
- Syed I, Nathan P, Barr R, Rosenberg-Yunger Z, D’Agostino NM, Klassen AF. Examining factors associated with self-management skills in teenaged survivors of childhood and adolescent cancer. J Cancer Surviv. 2016 Jan 22. [Epub ahead of print].
- Syed IA, Klassen AF, Barr R, Wang R, Dix D, Nelson M, Rosenberg-Yunger ZRS, Nathan P. Factors associated with childhood cancer survivors’ knowledge about their diagnosis, treatment and risk for late effects. J Cancer Surviv, 4 September 2015 [Epub ahead of print]
- Lee EH, Klassen AF, Lawson JL, Cano SJ, Scott AM, Pusic AL. Patient experiences and outcomes following facial skin cancer surgery: A qualitative study. Australas J Dermatol. 2015, April 2. [Epub ahead of print].
- Klassen AF, Grant C, Barr R, Brill H, Kraus de Camargo O, Ronan GM, Samaan MC, Mondal T, Schlatman A, Tsangaris E, Athale U, Wickert N, Gorter JW. Development and Validation of a Generic Scale for use in Transition Programs to Measure Self-Management Skills in Adolescents with Chronic Health Conditions: The TRANSITION-Q. Child, Care Health and Development. 2014 Oct 28. [Epub ahead of print]
- Klassen AF, Rosenberg-Yunger Z, Syed I, D’Agostino N, Barr RD, Greenberg ML, Granek L, Nathan PC. Developing transition readiness scales for childhood cancer survivors to better prepare them to transition to long-term follow-up care as adults. Health Expectations. 2014, Jul 22 [Epub ahead of print].
- Tsangaris E, Johnson J, Taylor R, Fern L, Bryant-Lukosius D, Barr R, Fraser G, Klassen A. Identifying the health and supportive care needs of adolescent and young adult survivors diagnosed with cancer: a qualitative analysis and systematic review. Support Care Cancer. 2014 Apr; 22(4):947-59. Epub 2013 Nov 24.
- Ahuja B, Klassen AF, Satz R, Malhotra N, Tsangaris E, Ventresca M, Fayed N. A review of health and quality of life patient reported outcomes for children and adolescents with obesity. Qual Life Res. 2014 Apr;23(3):759-70. Epub 2013 Jun 26.
- Anthony SJ, Selkirk E, Sung L, Klaassen R, Dix D, Scheinemann K, Klassen AF. Considering quality of life for children with cancer: a systematic review of patient-reported outcome measures and the development of a conceptual model. Qual Life Res. 2014 Apr;23(3):771-89. Epub 2013 Aug 2.
- Wong K, Forrest CR, Goodacre TEE, Klassen AF. Measuring outcomes in craniofacial and pediatric surgery. Clinics in Plastic Surgery 2013; 40:305-12. Epub 2012 Dec 21.
- 2010-2015 Ontario Women's Health Council / CIHR IGH Mid-Career Award
- 2008-2011 Early Researcher Award, Ministry of Research and Innovation, Ontario
Phone: 905-521-2100 x76465
Title: Administrative Assistant