Research Program Overview
Dr. Dillenburg’s research on cardiac function in children exposed to anthracyclines as part of their cancer therapy will lead to a better understanding of genetic and epigenetic factors influencing the development of cardiac dysfunction from life-saving cancer therapies. Dr. Dillenburg’s research in the epidemiology of Kawasaki Disease and focus on children who develop coronary artery aneurysms will help determine risk factors and specific group outcomes.
Also, her work with the parental anxiety in families with children affected from Kawasaki Disease has led to further research involving children’s perceptions of their disease and potential limitations. Furthermore, physical activity in pre-schoolers with repaired congenital heart disease involves an important aspect of these children’s lives, as obesity and sedentarism has high prevalence amongst youth in recent years.
Dr. Dillenburg also collaborates with other researchers in the areas of educational research, biostatistics and systematic scoping review, basic science research in the fields of endocrinology and gastroenterology.
- Education Research: Auditory Training Tool – does it improve differentiating innocent from pathologic murmurs? Status: early phase
- Multi-Institutional Research: PCS2 (Prevention of Cardiac Sequelae in Pediatric Cancer Survivors) – CIHR Grant sub-award. Status: ongoing
- Multi-Institutional Research : Epidemiological Surveillance of Kawasaki Disease 2010-2013. Status: ongoing
- Multi-Institutional Research: Coronary Artery Aneurysms in Kawasaki Disease 2014. Status: ongoing
- Multi-Institutional Research: Cardiac Kids Quality of LIFFE Research and Knowledge Exchange Network. Status: early phase.
Recent Publications Publications
- Kantor PF, Lougheed J, Dancea A, McGillion M, Barbosa N, Chan C, Dillenburg R. Presentation, diagnosis, and medical management of heart failure in children: Canadian Cardiovascular Society Guidelines. Can J Cardiol 2013 Dec;29(12):1535-52
- Dillenburg RF, Nathan P, Mertens L. Educational Paper: decreasing the burden of cardiovascular disease in childhood cancer survivors: an update for the pediatrician. Eur J Pediatr 2013 Sep;172(9):1149-60.
- Chahal N, Clarizia NA, McCrindle BW, Boydell KM, Obadia M, Manlhiot C, Dillenburg R, Yeung R. Parental anxiety associated with Kawasaki Disease in previously healthy children. J Pediatr Health Care. 2010 Jul-Aug; 24 (4):250-7.
- Millar PJ, Proudfoot NA, Dillenburg RF, Macdonald MJ. Reduced heart rate variability and baroreflex sensitivity in normotensive children with repaired coarctation of the aorta. Int J Cardiol 2013 Sep 20; 168(1):587-8.
- Currie KD, Martin AA, Millar PJ, Stone ND, Timmons BW, Dillenburg RF, Macdonald MJ. Vascular and autonomic function in preschool-aged children with congenital heart disease. CongenitHeartDis.2012 May-Jun;7(3):289-97.
Phone: 905-521-2100 x. 75242
Korinne Hamilton BSc., BSc. (hons), MSc., CCRA
Clinical Research Coordinator
Phone: 905-521-2100 x. 73821