Research Program Overview
Research focused on education in the areas of post graduate training, ethics, global health and quality improvement in the paediatric emergency department.
- Ethics needs assessment in the emergency department.
- Implementation of multisource feedback in post-graduate education.
- Pool fencing advocacy for the prevention of paediatric drownings.
- Mindfulness based stress reduction in post-graduate education.
- Using process mapping to decrease urinary tract infection in the emergency department.
- Pediatric emergency preparedness in community physician’s offices: a national survey.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
- Pernica JM, Mah JK, Kam AJ. “Canadian pediatricians’ prescribing practices for community-acquired pneumonia.” Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2014 May;53(5):493-6.
- Johnston BC, Donen R, Pooni A, Pond J, Xie F, Giglia L, Kam A, Bhamber A, Bami K, Patel Y, Guyatt GH. “Conceptual framework for health-related quality of life assessment in acute gastroenteritis.” J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013 Mar;56(3):280-9.
- Mikrogianakis A, Kam A, Silver S, Bakanisi B, Henao O, Okrainec A, Azzie G. “Telesimulation: an innovative and effective tool for teaching novel intraosseous insertion techniques in developing countries.” Acad Emerg Med. 2011 Apr;18(4):420-7.
- Kam AJ, Leal J, Freedman SB. “Pediatric cellulitis: success of emergency department short-course intravenous antibiotics.” Pediatr Emerg Care. 2010 Mar;26(3):171-6.
- Kam AJ, Manini AF, Nelson LS. “First, remove the offending agent.” Am J Cardiol. 2008 Aug 1;102(3):370-1.
- Kam A, Ford-Jones L, Malloy P, Khan K, Kitai I. “Active tuberculosis among adolescents in Toronto, Canada: clinical features and delays in diagnosis.” Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2007 Apr;26(4):355-6
- Nowaczyk MJ, Zeesman S, Kam A, Taylor SA, Carter RF, Whelan DT. “Boy with 47,XXY,del(15)(q11.2q13) karyotype and Prader-Willi syndrome: a new case and review of the literature.” Am J Med Genet A. 2004 Feb 15;125A(1):73-6.
- Hughes J, Kam A, Grewal R, Dossa F, Audcent T, McLaren M, Khemani E, Penner J. “Peace-through-health and Health Sciences Education: Teaching Students New Skills.” In: Peace Through Health, The McMaster-Lancet Challenge Conference. 2001. http://www.humanities.mcmaster.ca/peace-health/conferences/Conf2001/pth-ppr.PDF.
Accepted for Publication
Van Diepen, K, Almeida, C, Kam AJ. “An Interesting Case of Viral Pericarditis”. Pediatric Emergency Care. Mar 12, 2014.
Maria Rosa Gouveia
phone: 905-521-2100 x 73750
Title: Program Assistant, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Emergency Medicine