Dr. Dent, currently professor emeritus in the Department of Pediatrics, graduated from the University of Toronto Medical School in 1960. He trained in Pediatrics at the Hospital for Sick Children and Birmingham (UK) Children's Hospital and then went on to do a research fellowship under Dr. Robert A. Good in immunology and rheumatology at the University of Minnesota specializing in cancer immunology. Supported by a research career award from the Leukemia Society of America, he joined the Department of Pediatrics at McMaster University in 1968 where he established the division of rheumatology and immunology.
Dr. Dent was the Chair of the Department of Pediatrics from 1980 to 1990 during which time he founded what is now known as the McMaster Children's Hospital. He also spearheaded the development of the local Ronald McDonald House. In recognition of these achievements, he was inducted into the Hamilton Gallery of Distinction in 2008.
Dr. Dent served as Vice President (Medicine) for Chedoke McMaster Hospitals as well as Director of Research for Hamilton Health Sciences from 1990–1997. In 2002, he became Associate Vice President (Clinical Services) for the Faculty of Health Sciences. In the past he has served as chair of the section of Pediatric Rheumatology of the American College of Rheumatology and on the sub-board of Rheumatology of the American Board of Pediatrics. In 2004 he received the James T. Cassidy Award for excellence in teaching and patient care in pediatric rheumatology from the American Academy of Pediatrics and in the same year he became a Master of the American College of Rheumatology.
Dr. Dent's continuing activities include the care of children with rheumatologic and immune deficiency diseases, medical education and administration. He continues his involvement in clinical research in pediatric rheumatology.
- Phase IV Registry of Patients with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
- Bone health in patients taking corticosteroids
- Outcome study on Canadian Children with Arthritis (REACCH OUT)
Publications & Achievements
- Plamondon S, Dent P B: Amyopathic dermatomyositis: Results of a case finding descriptive survey. J Rheumatol 2000; 27:2031-4.
- LeBlanc CMA, Inman RD, Dent P, Smith C, Babyn P and Laxer R: Retroperitoneal fibrosis: An extraarticular manifestation of ankylosing spondylitis. Arthritis Rheum. 2002;47:210-4.
- Aksentijevich I, Nowak M, Mallah M, et al: De Novo CIAS1 mutations, cytokine activation, and evidence for genetic heterogeneity in patients with neonatal-onset multisystem inflammatory disease (NOMID); A new member of the expanding famly of pyrin-associated autoinflammatory diseases. Arthrits Rheum 2002; 46:3340-3348
- Jones OY, Spencer CH, Bowyer SL, Dent PB, Gottlieb BS, and Rabinovich CE: A Multicentre Case-Control Study on Predictive Factors Distinguishing Childhood Leukemia From Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis Pediatrics 2006; 117:840-844