Dr. Choong is a Professor in the Department of Pediatrics at McMaster University, and an associate member of the Department of Clinical Epidemiology & Biostatistics. She received her medical training at the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, followed by pediatric residency training at Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario. She then completed subspecialty training in both Neonatology as well as Pediatric Critical Care at the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto. Dr. Choong also holds a Masters of Health Research Methodology from McMaster University.
Dr. Choong joined the Division of Critical Care in the Department of Pediatrics at McMaster in 2003. She is a member of the Society of Pediatric Research, and the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. She has a clinical research focus and holds several peer-reviewed research grants as a principal investigator for projects such as the Vasopressin in Pediatric Shock trial, and the Hypotonic versus Isotonic Parenteral fluid trial. Her current research focus is on acute rehabilitation in critically ill children.
Research Program Overview
Acute Rehabilitation in PCCU
- To evaluate the rehabilitation practices and resources in Canadian PCCUs (National Survey)
- To determine the prevalence of PCCU acquired weakness and its clinical significance (Observational Studies)
- To evaluate the safety and feasibility of acute comprehensive rehabilitation in PCCU patients (Interventional study)
- To evaluate the efficacy of acute comprehensive rehabilitation on patient important short and longterm outcomes (Interventional study)
- Acute Rehabilitation and Early mobilization in critically ill children
- Hypotonic vs Isotonic maintenance IV fluids in Children, an RCT
- Attention and Traumatic Brain injury in children
- Steroid use in Pediatric fluid and vasopressor dependant shock
Publications & Achievements
- P Jouvet, J Hutchison, R Pinto, K Menon, R Rodin, K Choong, M Kesselman, S Veroukis, et al. Critical Illness in children with influenza A/H1N1 2009 infection in Canada. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2010 Mar 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- K Choong, K Al-Faleh, J Doucette, S Gray, B Rich, L Verhey, B Paes.Remifentanil for intubation in neonates, a randomized controlled trial. Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed 2010;95:F80-F84
- K Choong, D Bohn, D Fraser, J Hutchison, A Joffe, I Gaboury, C Litalien, K Menon, R Ward, on behalf of the Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. Vasopressin in Pediatric Shock - a multicentered randomized controlled trial. Am J Respir Crit Care 2009; 180(7), 632-639.
- 2007 American Critical Care Medicine Clinical Practice Parameters for Hemodynamic Support of pediatric and Neonatal Septic Shock. J Brierley, J Carcillo, Karen Choong, Tim Cornell, et al. Crit Care Med 2009; Vol 37, (1).
- Choong K, Kissoon N. Vasopressin in shock and critical illness. Pediatric Critical Care Medicine. 9(4):372-379, July 2008