Education and Professional Standing
- FRCPC, University of Toronto, 1994
- MD, McMaster University, 1981
Dr. Provias’ research focus involves ongoing projects related to Alzheimer’s disease and aspects of brain tumour biology. Currently, he receives grant funding through the Academic Initiatives Fund (AIF) and NSERC which are related to the aforementioned interests.
As a Neuropathologist, Dr. Provias provides diagnostic and clinical services for, HHS, Hamilton Regional Cancer Centre, the regional forensic pathology lab, and private consultations within South Western Ontario. He has a special interest in neuro-oncology/angiogenesis.
Dr. Provias is an active member of the residency training program, where he teaches anatomical pathology residents, neurology residents and neurosurgical residents as they rotate through. He is also an MF5 (neuro sub-unit) tutor, program organizer and lecturer, for McMaster’s MD Program.
Brief Scientific Communications (Published)
- Lo BW, Johnson T, Ma XA, Provias J. Characterization of cerebral astrocytoma zonal proliferation and intrazonal clustering using geminin, HIF-1 alpha and VEGF. Presented at Canadian Congress of Neurological Sciences, Ottawa, Canada, June, 2012. Published in Canadian Journal of Neurologic Sciences, volume 39, number 3, supplement 3, May 2012, S19, F.01.
Peer Review Journal Publications
- Nolte SM, Venugopal C, McFarlane N, Morozova O, Hallett RM, O’Farrell E, Manoranjan B, Murty NK, Klurfan P, Kachur E, Provias JP, Farrokhyar F, Hassell JA, Marra M, Singh, SK. A cancer stem cell model for studying brain metastases from primary lung cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 2013, Feb.15 (Epub ahead of print).
- El Demellawy D, Sur M, Ahmed AD, Provias J. Hemispheric extra-ventricular glioneurocytoma: a clinicopathological review with detailed immunohistochemical profile. Pathol Res Pract 2012;208(8):444-51.
- Reddy D, Gunnarsson T, Scheinemann K, Provias JP, Singh SK. Combined staged endoscopic and microsurgical approach of a third ventricular choroid plexus papilloma in an infant. Minim Invasive Neurosurg 2011;54(5-6):264-7.
- Venugopal C, Li N, Wang X, Manoranjan B, Hawkins C, Gunnarsson T, Hollenberg R, Klurfan P, Murty N, Kwiecien J, Farrokhyar F,Provias JP, Wynder C, Singh SK. Bmi1 marks intermediate precursors during differentiation of human brain tumour initiating cells. Stem Cell Res 2012;8(2):141-53.
- Khan S, Toews H, Wang JC, Arredondo J,Provias J, Göhring G, Barr RD. Acute lymphoblastic leukemia in a patient with constitutional chromosome 1pter-p36.31 duplication and 1q43-qter deletion. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 2012;34(3):217-21.
- Manoranjan B, Provias JP. Hemimegalencephaly: a fetal case with neuropathological confirmation and review of the literature. Acta Neuropathol 2010;120:117-130.
- Jeynes B, Provias J. Significant negative correlations between capillary expressed eNOS and Alzheimer lesion burden. Neurosci Lett. 2009;469(3):244-248.
- Jeynes B, Provias J. Evidence of altered LRP/RAGE expression in Alzheimer’s lesion pathogenesis. Current Alzheimer Research 2008;5(5):423-437.
- Provias J, Jeynes B. Neurofibrillary tangles and senile plaques in Alzheimer’s brains are associated with reduced capillary expression of vascular endothelial growth factor and endothelial nitric oxide synthase. Current Neurovascular Research 2008;5(3):1-7.
- El-Demellawy D, Bain J, Aljawad H, Provias J. Inflammatory Pseudotumour of the Peroneal Nerve: case reprt and literature review. Annals of Diagnostic Pathology 2008 February;12(1):44-48.
- Wickham ME, Brown NF, Provias J, Finlay BB, Coombes BK. Oral infection of mice with Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium leads to meningitis and infection of the brain. BMC Infectious Diseases 2007; 7:65.
- Provias J, Jeynes B. The possible role of capillary
cerebral amyloid angiopathy in Alzheimer lesion
development: a regional comparison. Acta
Neuropathologica 2006 July;112:417-427.
- Abuzallouf S, Wong R, Mintz AP, Provias J. Intradural hemangioendothelioma of the spinal cord with intramedullary extension. A case report and review of literature. Med Princ Pract 2005;14:354-357.
- Al-Brahim N, Devilliers R, Provias J. Intraventricular hemangiopericytoma, case report and literature review. Annals of Diagnostic Pathology 2004 December;(8)6: 347-351.
- Simon DK, Johns DR, Friedman J, Breakefield XO, Brin
MF, Provias J, Bressman SB, Jankovic J, Charness ME,
Tarsay D, Tarnopolsky MA. A heteroplasmic
mitochondrial complex I gene mutation in adult-onset
dystonia. Neurogenetics 2003 August 4;(4):199-205.
- Kennedy D, Silver MM, Winsor EJ, Toi A, Provias J, Macha M, Precht K, Ledbetter D, Chitayat D. Inverted Duplication of the Distal Short Arm of Chromosome 3 Associated with Lobar Holoprosencephaly and lubosacral meningomyelocele. Am J Med Genet 2000 Mar 20;91(3):167-170.