Education and Professional Standing
- MSc Radiology, University of Baghdad, 1990
- MBChB, University of Baghdad, 1986
Dr. Mohialdin is interested in developing educational resources, specifically for the integration of clinical Anatomy and Radiology. Introduction to bedside Ultrasound for undergraduate Medical program and for Physician assistant program. With recent technological improvements in portable ultrasound machines, there is increasing use of health care provider –performed bedside Ultrasonography. Also known as point of care ultrasound (POCUS).
Clinical and Academic Interests
Dr. Mohialdin is actively involved in McMaster Undergraduate MD program, Physiotherapy Program (PT), and Physician Assistant program (PA). She also acts as Radiology Lecturer for undergraduate Medical program, Physician Assistant Program, and Rehabilitation Science courses intended for practicing Physiotherapists.
Dr. Mohialdin is heavily involved in clinical Skills practice session for the Undergraduate MD Program, and for Physician Assistant program. She also provides educational resources to residents in the postgraduate medical training program, some of which includes:
- Radiology Residency training program
- Surgery Residency training program
- Pathology Residency training program
Dr. Mohialdin is member of the Medical Acupuncture program.
Dr. Mohialdin sits on numerous committees for McMaster MD program, some of which include:
- Professional Clinical Skills Committee, Undergraduate Medical Program
- Curriculum Planning Committee, Undergraduate Medical Program
- Planning Committee for Medical Foundation 4, Undergraduate Medical Program
- Elective Coordinator, Undergraduate Medical Program
- Teaching Professor Committee.
Dr. Mohialdin is a member of the following Professional Organizations:
- The Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (AFMC)
- Canadian Association of Anatomy
- American Association of Anatomy
As a Member of the National Clinical Skills Working Group, they have been working to develop a guide for clinical teaching across the country that outlines the expected clinical skills competencies for undergraduate medical students at entry to clerkship and then at the time of graduation. Teaching and evaluating clinical skills continues to be a challenge in the current health care system both in the United States and Canada. Having decided what skills should be expected of our students, the National Clinical Skills working group will move forward to consider how best these skills can be taught, how faculty in the academic health science centers and in the community can be taught to be better clinical teachers and how the clinical skills can be best evaluated.
Awards and Nominations
- Anatomy Teaching Excellence Award, Medical School, McMaster University (1999)
- Nominated for the Dr. David Carr Teaching Award, Medical School, McMaster University (2004)
- Effect of processing strategy on Transverse of concept. Norman GR, G Regehr, J Cline, Vian Mohialdin. L Brooks. Academic Medicine, 1994-journals.IWW.com.
- Computed Tomography in grading Air flow limitation correlation with functional impairment and disability. A. Freitag, C Dennie, K Killian, P O’Byrne, C Coblentz, Vian Mohialdin. Scholarly articles. 1995
- Effect of patient context on performance on multiple choice questions; interaction with curriculum and experience. JM Blake, GR Norman, Vian Mohialdin, EKM Smith. The lancet, 1995- Elsevier.
- Norman G.R., Brooks L.R., (Shali) Mohialdin V., Marriott M., Regehr G. 1996 Expert-novice difference in the use of history and visual information from patient. Academic Medical 71:S62-S64
- Impact of feature interpretation on medical student diagnostic performance. GR Norman, L Brooks, Vian Mohialdin, M Marriott, McMaster University, Toronto Hospital and University of Toronto. Academic Medicine Journal, 1996.
- Error of context in expert and non expert tutor. Thomas Hiller, Vian Mohialdin. Scholarly articles. 1998
- Supplemental images for tutorial problems in Undergraduate Medical School Curriculum. Mohialdin, V., Shali, A., 2008. Medical Education Journal.
- Introduction professional skills practice session to pre-clerkship curriculum. Shali, A., Neville, A., Mohialdin, V. (both articles submitted to Medical Education Journal.) 2008.
- Booklet: Evidence-based clinical Skills document. A consensus document from the Undergraduate Medical Schools in Canada. Created by Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (AFMC) National Clinical Skills Working Group, 2008.
- How to teach Anatomy to students pursuing a carrier in Medical and health Sciences. Anatomical Science Educational Journal. 2009. Vian Mohialdin, A. Shali, H Grove.
- Teaching Functional Clinical Anatomy to Students in Medical andHealth Sciences At the Global Sciences and Technology Forum (GSTF). Journal of advances in Medical Research. (JAMR) Vol1, No2. October 2014. Vian Mohialdin, H. Grove, A. Shali
- Updated Booklet: Evidence-based clinical Skills document. A consensus document from the Undergraduate Medical Schools in Canada. Created by Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada (AFMC) National Clinical Skills Working Group, 2014.
Anatomy & Surgical Skills Laboratory Coordinator
Bequeathal Coordinator/Administrative Assistant
Instructional Research Assistant