Education and Professional Standing
BASc (Mechanical Engineering), University of Toronto
MASc (Mechanical Engineering/Biomedical Engineering), University of Toronto
MD, University of Toronto
Anatomical Pathology Residency, University of Toronto
Fellowship in Urologic Pathology, Rockyview General Hospital/University of Calgary
FRCPC (Anatomical Pathology)
Dr. Bonert’s clinical focus is on urologic pathology and gastrointestinal pathology. He also has interests in medical education, quality improvement, data mining and numerical simulations.
Dr. Bonert is the founder of Libre Pathology (https://librepathology.org), an open access source of pathology information.
Dr Bonert's pubmed publications can be viewed here
- Bonert M, El-Shinnawy I, Carvalho M, Williams P, Salama S, Tang D, Kapoor A, 2017, "Next Generation Quality: Assessing the Physician in Clinical History Completeness and Diagnostic Interpretations Using Funnel Plots and Normalized Deviations Plots in 3,854 Prostate Biopsies", J Pathol Inform. Nov 23;8:43. doi.
- Scaffidi MA, Khan R, Wang C, Keren D, Tsui C, Garg A, Brar S, Valoo K, Bonert M, de Wolff JF, Heilman J, Grover SC, 2017, "Comparison of the Impact of Wikipedia, UpToDate, and a Digital Textbook on Short-Term Knowledge Acquisition Among Medical Students: Randomized Controlled Trial of Three Web-Based Resources", JMIR Med Educ. Oct 31;3(2):e20. doi.
- Bonert M, Tate A, 2017, “Mitotic counts in breast cancer should be standardized with a uniform area”, Biomed Eng Online, Feb 16;16(1):28. Abstract
- Trpkov K, Hes O, Bonert M, Lopez JI, Bonsib SM, Nesi G, Comperat E, Sibony M, Berney DM, Martinek P, Bulimbasic S, Suster S, Sangoi A, Yilmaz A, Higgins JP, Zhou M, Gill AJ, Przybycin CG, Magi-Galluzzi C, McKenney JK, 2016, “Eosinophilic, Solid, and Cystic Renal Cell Carcinoma: Clinicopathologic Study of 16 Unique, Sporadic Neoplasms Occurring in Women,” Am J Surg Pathol. Jan;40(1):60-71. Abstract
- Heilman JM, Kemmann E, Bonert M, Chatterjee A, Ragar B, Beards GM, Iberri DJ, Harvey M, Thomas B, Stomp W, Martone MF, Lodge DJ, Vondracek A, de Wolff JF, Liber C, Grover SC, Vickers TJ, Meskó B, Laurent MR, 2011, “Wikipedia: a key tool for global public health promotion,” J Med Internet Res., 31;13(1):e14. Abstract
- Bonert M, Saville BA, 2010, “A non-dimensional analysis of hemodialysis,” Open Biomed Eng J. 4: 138-155. Abstract
- Naqvi A, Mathew J, Bonert M, 2017, "The automatic extraction and categorization of 22,760 stomach biopsy specimen parts from 110,970 free text pathology reports to assess Helicobacter pylori diagnostic rates", European Congress of Pathology, Abstract (P.47 / S33)
- Bonert M, Dmetrichuk J, Naqvi A, 2017, “The automatic extraction and categorization of 11,347 large bowel polyps from 54,631 free text surgical pathology reports”, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathologists Meeting. Abstract
- Bonert M, Gao Y, Mortuza S, Torres FX, Raab SS, 2014, “Developing a wiki-based case simulator for anatomical pathology”, Canadian Association of Pathologists Meeting.
- Bonert M, Craddock CJ, 2012, “An In Silico Approach to Finding the Expected Frequency of Coincidental Overlaps for In Situ Hybridization Using Dual-Colour Fusion Probes,” United States and Canadian Academy of Pathologists Meeting.