Skip to navigation content (Press Enter).


What is a Global Health Practice Placement?

There are two categories:

This category is limited to agencies:
a) in a setting outside of Canada and/or b) in a resource-constrained environment and/or c) where nurses are normally in an expanded or primary care role and/or d) providing care in a cross-cultural context and/or d) have an opportunity to compare and contrast health care systems.

This category is limited to agencies:
a) in a remote/rural setting in Canada b) where nurses are normally in a prominent or primary care role and/or c) providing care to a largely indigenous/Aboriginal population and/or d) under the auspices or oversight of a First Nations or Inuit administration, Board or Health Authority (e.g. Fort Albany, Kugluktuk, etc.). 

Q: What course will I be doing?
A: Students may take one of the two fourth year clinical courses: N4J07 or N4K07. Note: the PBL course “N4P04 - Advanced Nursing Concepts I” is normally taken concurrently online with your clinical course. Course manuals should be carefully read ASAP in preparation for any of the above courses.

Q: How long will my placement be?
A: The fourth year clinical course is normally 12-weeks in length (288 hours). Under special circumstances this type of placement may be compressed to a minimum of 10-weeks. Please contact your tutor about this.

Q: Are there any guidelines that govern my practice while overseas or in an outpost setting?
A: Yes, the College of Nurses of Ontario has suggested principles, "Guidelines for Decision-making. For a very brief summary, click here.

Q: Am I insured against malpractice in the setting to which I am going?
A: Yes. All students in the McMaster Mohawk Conestoga BScN Program are covered by a University held policy (The Canadian University Reciprocal Insurance Exchange). If you need details or a letter of proof contact Helen Buac.

Q: What about other forms of liability?
A: There may be risks incurred by the student in undertaking an international or outpost placement therefore, both McMaster University and the host organization will normally request that you sign a waiver before you depart to your destination.

Q: How do I get the necessary immunizations before travelling overseas?
A: This is your own responsibility, but the GHEC may organize a clinic from time-to time on an as-needed basis. For up-to-date information from three reliable sources click here.

Q: What about supplementary health insurance?
A: We recommend that you read this important information about OHIP coverage outside of Ontario.
We strongly recommend supplementary insurance to cover the extraordinary costs of a medevac, drugs or special care while in an underserviced area, we recommend buying private insurance to cover such eventualities.

Q: Do I need to get a VISA for the country to which I am going? How and where do I get one?
A: It depends upon the country to which you are going. You need a visa to enter many foreign countries, even if you are visiting as a tourist or a student for a short period of time. Anyone intending to study in a country usually requires special permission to do so from the authorities of that country. These applications cost money and take time to obtain. For more information, click Consular Services.

Copyright © 2011 Michael G. Ladouceur. All rights reserved. Updated: 31 May, 2011 by MGL