Global Health Professional Practice Placements
Global Health Professional Practice Placements offer senior-year nursing students an unparalleled opportunity to learn about the broad determinants of the health of diverse populations, comparative health care systems and the role of the nurse in cross-cultural and resource-constrained environments.
This website is designed to help McMaster Mohawk Conestoga BScN Program students plan a successful placement in areas of the world for which there may be limited resources and support.
To provide the highest quality educational experience in an international or intercultural setting for McMaster Mohawk Conestoga BScN Program students.
Since 1984, the faculty and staff at the McMaster School of Nursing have facilitated the placements of over 240 students in more than 25 countries worldwide and in 6 provinces and 3 northern territories in Canada. In 2010 the Global Health Education Committee (GHEC) was struck by our Associate Dean to advance the practical and academic goals of this process.
If you are a student in our program, consider the following….
- What do you hope to gain, learn or give?
- Do you want primarily a hospital/clinic experience or a community/public health experience?
- Do you wish to learn about specific diseases or health problems not prevalent in the Southern Ontario catchment area?
- Is there a specific culture, language or other population group with whom you wish to work?
- Does the setting you are interested in have the necessary people and infrastructure to support your learning activities and to meet the course objectives?
- Are there settings in Southern Ontario where you could gain a similar experience or meet the same objectives?
- How do you expect this experience will influence your career?
- Have you spoken with someone who has worked in the setting or one similar to where you want to go?
- What personal strengths and challenges will you take to this placement?