Associate Professor, School of Nursing
Director, Clinical Health Professional Research, Hamilton Health Sciences
Associate Scientist, Population Health Research Institute
Adjunct Professor, School of Nursing, University of Ottawa
RN, BSc (University of Toronto), PhD (McMaster University)
Dr. Sandra Carroll joined the McMaster University School of Nursing in 2009 and is currently an Associate Professor. She has a Bachelor of Science from the University of Toronto and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from McMaster University. Dr. Carroll completed a CIHR Strategic Training Fellowship in the FUTURE Program for Cardiovascular Nurse Scientists and a Post-Doctoral Fellowship through the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario/Michael G. DeGroote Chair in Cardiovascular Nursing Research.
Dr. Carroll’s research focus includes patients’ decision-making, decision support in the context of implantable defibrillators, patient preferences for cardiovascular treatments, patient engagement, and patient reported outcomes in arrhythmia care. Dr. Carroll has received operating funds from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, the Heart & Stroke Foundation and an Early Career Award from the Hamilton Health Sciences Foundation.
- Carroll, S.L., McGillion, M., Arthur, HM. (2014). Living with and Implantable Defibrillator: A Model of Chronic Uncertainty. Research and Theory for Nursing Practice: An International Journal, 28(1), 1-16.
- Carroll, S.L., McGillion, M., Stacey, D., Healey, J., Browne, G., Arthur, H.M., Thabane, L. (2013). Development and Feasibility Testing of Decision Support for Patients who are Candidates for an Implantable defibrillator: a study protocol for a pilot randomized controlled trial. Trials, 14: 346.
- Carroll, S.L., Markle-Reid, M., Ciliska, D., Connolly, S.J., Arthur, H.M. (2012) Age and Mental Health Predict Early Device-Specific Quality of Life in Patients Receiving Prophylactic Implantable Defibrillators, Canadian Journal of Cardiology, 28(4);502-507.
- Carroll, S.L., Strachan, P.H., de Laat, S., Schwartz, L., Arthur, H.M. (2011). Patients’ Decision Making to Accept or Decline an Implantable Cardioverter for Primary Prevention of Sudden Cardiac Death. Health Expectations. [Epub ahead of print] DOI: 10.1111/j.1369-7625.2011.00703.x; Published online, February 13, Vol 16 (1), pp 69-79.
- Strachan, P.H., de Laat, S., Carroll, S.L., Schwartz, L., Vaandering, K., Gurjit K., Arthur, H.M. (2011). Readability and content of patient education material related to implantable cardioverter defibrillators. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, [Epub ahead of print], DOI: 10.1097/JCN.0b013e31822ad3dd.
- Carroll, S.L., & Arthur, H. (2010). A comparative study of comparison of uncertainty, optimism, and anxiety in patients receiving their first implantable defibrillator for primary or secondary prevention of sudden cardiac death. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 47:836-845.