Division of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Residency Program Application Process
Residents can be considered for training in Physical Medicne and Rehabilitation at McMaster University if they have completed at least three years of training in an approved Internal Medicine Residency Training Program. Information regarding licensure requirements are available at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario website.Ontario Ministry of Health Funded Positions
Residents who are eligible for Ontario Ministry of Health funded training positions should apply though the Canadian Residency Matching Service. Application policies are still under review and applicants should periodically check the CaRMS website for updates regarding requirements and deadlines.
Residents unsure if they qualify for training in Ontario should consult
the published requirements for eligibility available on the website for
the McMaster University Postgraduate
Medical Education Program.
Further information is also available at
- The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario and
- Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care websites.
International Medical Graduates (Visa Trainees)
Applicants funded by governments outside Canada should not apply through CaRMS but should send their application package directly to the Postgraduate Medical Education Office before September 1st. Packages of those eligible for training at McMaster University will be forwarded to the Program Director in September for further consideration.
Application packages for non-Ontario Ministry of Health-funded positions
should provide the following documents:
- A completed Postgraduate Medical Education Application Form
- A minimum of three (3) letters of reference (with one being from the resident’s Internal Medicine Program Director)
- Medical school transcripts
- A personal letter of up to 750 words that outlines the resident’s motivation for choosing a career in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and reasons for applying to McMaster University.
- A curriculum vitae
- Details of sponsorship
- Documentation of successful completion of the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination
For further information regarding Residency training in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, please contact:
PM&R Residency Program
1280 Main St. W., HSC 3V46
Hamilton, Ontario L8S 4K1