It's a banner start to the fall term for a group of researchers of the Faculty of Health Sciences.
As part of McMaster University's new #BrighterWorld brand introduction, 13 researchers from the Faculty are among those showcased on banners across campus.
The banners, which include photos and short descriptions of the researchers and their work, were recently installed on campus light posts.
"Our goal at McMaster is to create a brighter world – to improve the health and well-being of all people while contributing to our global knowledge base and advancing the societies and the world in which we live," says University President Patrick Deane.
"We believe that bringing together the best and brightest minds is the spark that makes a brighter world possible."
The featured Faculty of Health Sciences researchers are:
- Sonia Anand, professor of medicine
- Premysl Bercik, Richard Hunt – AstraZeneca Chair in Gastroenterology
- Mohit Bhandari, professor of surgery
- Mick Bhatia, director, McMaster Stem Cell and Cancer Research Institute
- Dawn Bowdish, Canada Research Chair in Aging and Immunity
- Deborah Cook, Distinguished University Professor
- P.J. Devereaux, Canada Research Chair in Perioperative Medicine
- Parminder Raina, Canada Research Chair in Geroscience
- Sheila Singh, Canada Research Chair in Human Cancer Stem Cell Biology
- Gregory Steinberg, professor of medicine
- Brenda Vrkljan, associate professor of rehabilitation science
- Gerry Wright, director, Michael G. DeGroote Institute for Infectious Disease Research
- Salim Yusuf, executive director, Population Health Research Institute
"These represent but a few of our amazing researchers who are working to solve some of the world's toughest problems," says Rob Baker, vice-president of Research.
"These banners are a great reminder of that talent that resides at McMaster and I hope they inspire the campus community and visitors to learn more about the world-class research being done right here in Hamilton."
The banners include prominent McMaster alumni, such as Canada's first female astronaut Roberta Bondar, Canada's first black Member of Parliament and Lieutenant Governor of Ontario Lincoln Alexander and War Child Canada founder Samantha Nutt. There is also University founder Senator William McMaster.
Two Nobel Prize winners are among the group, including economist and grad Myron Scholes and physicist and professor emeritus Bertram Brockhouse.
The campus community will learn more about #BrighterWorld later this fall.
Brenda Vrkljan - associate professor of rehabilitation science