"Visiting" Appointments at Rank of Lecturer or Above
The title of "Visiting Lecturer" or "Visiting Professor" should be reserved for persons visiting for short periods from other universities or institutions. They may be on their own sabbaticals or leaves, or they may be serving here as short-term replacements. Normally, visiting appointments would not extend beyond one year.
- The titles of "Visiting Lecturer", "Visiting Assistant Professor", "Visiting Associate Professor” and "Visiting Professor" are reserved for persons visiting for short periods from other universities or institutions. Normally, visiting appointments will not extend beyond one year.
- The majority of these appointments will be for non-clinical activities. If the appointment includes a provision for clinical activities, this will be clearly stated in the letter of offer and it will be the responsibility of the visitor to obtain valid credentials for clinical practice.
- Visiting appointments for periods greater than three months are recommended by the Department Chair and are subject to approval by the Faculty Appointments Committee.
- Visiting appointments of less than three months are confirmed in writing by the Department and reported to the Dean for information.
- All visiting faculty who are not Canadian Citizens/Permanent residents must comply with current immigration regulations. Departments are requried to submit information to facilitate completion of immigration documentation with the standard appointment packages.
Hooker Distinguished Visiting Professor
The Faculty of Health Sciences is allocated funds each year from the Hooker Trust Funds. The purpose of these funds is to facilitate short term visits for distinguished scholars and guest lecturers who will stimulate educational or research programs. These individuals are expected to address a broad audience of students at all levels.
- The title of " Hooker Distinguished Visiting Professor” is reserved for persons visiting for short periods who meet the requirements stated in the terms of reference.
- The recommendation of a Hooker Distinguished Visiting Professor shall be made by departments/schools in the Faculty of Health Sciences through the completion of an application form. The recommendation must then receive approval of the Faculty Dean or designate.