These pre-faculty appointments were established to provide an extra period of time for specialized post certification training for selected individuals. During the period of appointment, the applicant will undertake either additional specialized training in clinical procedures or formal research training at the Masters or Doctoral level.
Clinical Scholars in FHS do not fall under the auspices of the "McMaster University Revised Policy and Regulations with Respect to Academic Appointment, Tenure and Promotion 2012". Rather they are governed by regulations and procedures approved by the Faculty of Health Sciences.
In some cases, appointees have joined the full-time faculty following their Clinical Scholar appointment. Time spent as a Clinical Scholar may be used to adjust the academic start date for tenure and promotion and this should be discussed with your chair during the full time faculty recruitment process.
Basic Regulations and Policies
- Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada.They must have successfully completed the requirements for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario or equivalent certification, hold an independent practice license with appropriate scope from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, and have an OHIP provider number and malpractice insurance from the CMPA.
- The appointment is usually for one academic year and can be renewed.
- Remuneration provided is comprised of a base salary and a draw on professional earnings or ceiling payment. Rates are set annually at July 1. The total remuneration of the Clinical Scholar is determined by the academic department in accordance with the clinical practice plan.
- The scholar will be a member of Regional Medical Associates (RMA)
- Recommendations for appointment are submitted to the Dean/VP Health Sciences for the approval of the Council of the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine at the May meeting.
If you are interested in obtaining a Clinical Scholar appointment, please contact the relevant Department Chair to discuss available opportunities.