Newsletters and Bulletins
The Preschooler Focus is a quarterly newsletter dedicated to what's new in physical activity and health during the early years.
Sign up for the Preschooler Focus Newsletter to keep up to date with new editions!
- Issue 24 - New Guidelines for the Early Years: Physical activity sedentary time, and sleep. Kids sleep, move, and sit every day-- it's time we shift our focus from just one of these behaviours to how they all fit into each day. [Online version & Printable pdf]
- Issue 23 - Motor Skills and Physical Activity Learn about types of motor skills, new research, and what happens when kids have trouble with motor skills. [Online version & Printable pdf]
- Issue 22 - Update: Screen Time in the Early Years Healthy habits start early in life. Learn about screen time in the early years with information in recommendations, risks, and benefits. [Online version & Printable pdf]
- Issue 21 - Update: Physical Activity in Child Care Learn how child care settings help support young children's daily physical activity. [Online version & Printable pdf]
- Issue 20 - Update: Health-Related Fitness Learn how we measure health-related fitness in the early years and ways to help your child develop their fitness. [Online version & Printable pdf]
- Issue 19 - Sleep your way to health: Find out how sleep helps young kids grow, maintain healthy weights, and fight germs. [Online version & Printable pdf]
- Issue 18 - Happiness, Friendship & Active Play: Learn how active play can help your child make new friends, be happy, and become more confident! [Online version & Printable pdf]
- Issue 17 - Physical Activity and the Young Mind Active play helps more than just the heart - it helps kids learn too! [Online version & Printable pdf]
- Issue 16 - Foundations for an Active Future Learn how and why children should develop Physical Literacy [Online version & Printable pdf]
- Issue 15 - Taking a Risk with Play! Learn how you can support your child's development by giving them the freedom to explore, take risks, and be active [Online version & Printable pdf]
- Issue 14 - Be a Physical Activity Role Model! Learn how you can influence your child's physical activity behaviours in the early years.
- Issue 13 - Go outside and play! Learn why outdoor active play is important and tips for winter play with your little one.
- Issue 12 - Sport Participation - How Young is Too Young?
- Issue 11 - Active Transportation
- Issue 10 - Step Counts and Physical Activity
- Issue 9 - Active Video Games
- Issue 8 - Physical Activity and Adiposity
- Issue 7 - Beat the Summer Heat
- Issue 6 - New Physical Activity Guidelines for the Early Years!!
- Issue 5 - Screen Time
- Issue 4 - Health-related Fitness
- Issue 3 - Motor Skill Development
- Issue 2 - Child Care
- Issue 1 - Physical Activity
Nutrition for Young Athletes
Children need proper nutrition to train and compete in sports and maintain growth. Check out this bulletin for the latest information on hydration, protein, and carbohydrate requirements for children in sports.
These newsletters and bulletins are created
by the Child Health & Exercise Program at McMaster University.
Download and use of any of these newsletters, bulletins, or their content is permitted for
non-commercial purposes only and must be accompanied by the copyright
notice as found on the newsletter/bulletin or attribution to the authors and
owners must be specified. Please contact us for more information.