Dr. Eugene Biagioni was born and raised in Hamilton to parents of Tuscan descent. After pre-medical studies and medical school at the University of Western Ontario, he did a rotating internship at Hamilton General Hospital in 1961-1962, where he met his beloved wife, Eilleen. Though he intended to go into family practice, mentors such as Dr. Bill Goldberg, Chief of Medicine at St. Joseph’s Hospital, encouraged him to pursue the developing field of internal medicine training. He began internal medicine residency in Cincinnati, and transferred to the Cleveland Clinic to complete additional training and advanced fellowship in Internal Medicine. This was followed by a fellowship in Cardiovascular Diseases, and a fellowship in the nascent field of Interventional Cardiology with Dr. F. Mason Sones, of the eponymous catheter, a pioneer who had performed the first cardiac catheterization just a few years prior, in 1958. Dr. Biagioni thrived in this environment, learning by osmosis and discussing cases with individuals such as cardiac surgeon Dr. Rene Favoloro. He also trained alongside individuals who would later bring skills back to the Hamilton community, including surgeon Dr. Al Parisi and one of Hamilton’s first interventional cardiologists, Dr. John Robinson.
In 1967, although he was offered a position at the Cleveland Clinic, Dr. Biagioni returned home to Hamilton with his growing family, and started on staff at Hamilton General Hospital in 1968, where he did cardiac catheterization and worked as an internist alongside colleagues such as Dr. Bill Walsh and Dr. Adrian Yaffe. These were heady days: McMaster Medical School was just starting, and then, in 1975, Dr. Johnson brought Dr. Cairns, Tanser, Holder and Fallen to Hamilton. And the rest, as they say, is history.