McMaster University


McMaster University




Faculty Resources


  • Grants

  • Purchasing

  • Finance

  • PDAs

  • Hiring Staff,
    Students & Post-Docs
  • Equipment &
    Room Booking
  • Health &





MOSIAC Links and Information
How do I convert my legacy account number to the new Chartfield String?
  1. Log into Mosaic with your mac id
  2. On the 'Home' page click the 'Chart of Accounts Lookup'
  3. Enter your legacy account and subcode
  4. Your new Chartfield String will be displayed below - be sure to click both the 'Main/GL and Project Costing' tabs to obtain all the information pertaining to your new string.
How do I delegate authority for entry in the new Mosaic system?

Please log into Mosaic using your MAC ID and password: MOSAIC

Once logged in:

  1. Select my Profile Tab (on the left hand side)
  2. Select : Delegate Entry Authority
  3. Authorized User ID: enter the mac id of the person you want to delegate /select
Navigation to see "Project Transactional Listing and Account Balances"
The search mechanism for drilling down in Journal Entries is as follows:
  • Click on link to journal entry from email asking for approval.
  • Click “Go to Journal Entry Page” (upper right side of screen).
  • Click “Search Criteria” (second column from left under “Journal ID” number.
    • If you do not know which possible account of yours is being charged, type 10170 beside "Department" and click "ok". You will then see a page with all BBS Department charges.
  • Your account number will be found under “Project” heading.
  • Click the box(es) to the left of your charge(s) under the first column entitled “Select”, click ok.
  • You will then be sent back to the main journal entry page. If the charges are correct, click the Approve button on the bottom left of the screen.

Travel and Expense

Who do I submit my travel expense claims to?

Our Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences Accounting Assistant is:

Jackie Stewart
4H21A Health Sciences Centre
905-525-9140 ext. 22562

Diners Information

***NEW*** Instructions on how to obtain your online Diners statement

The card holder needs to click on the link provided on the alert and then register their account on eAM (e-Account Manager, step 1 below)

Diners email

  • Register your account on e-Account Manager (e-AM)

Please follow these steps:

  • Go to or
  • Click on Register in the Secure e-Account Manager section
  • Enter your card number and click submit
  • On the Diners Club Card member Registration screen, fill in your information and click submit
    • You will be prompted to create a user ID and Password. Please use this to sign into e-Account Manager in the future.

Diners Card application can be found at:


Online access to your Diners Club Corporate Account: e-Account Manager is a quick and easy online management tool. Log on to and click on e-Account Manager. You'll be able to easily and quickly manage your account:

  • view your statement
  • receive important alerts about your account
  • update your billing address
How do I submit a claim for petty cash?

Original, itemized receipts, in the amount less than $100, can be brought to Katie in the main office, HSC 4N59, for reimbursement. Please provide the account to be charged, the reason for the expense, and all necessary backup documentation.


Faculty and Managers - please see below for the new access to your PDA/MPDA account.


If you have any issues with running these reports please contact Debbie Weisensee ( ext. 26115.





Do you want to know the balance of your PDA/MPDA/LPDA account or see what you have spent?  If so, we now have an easy way for you to do this.



This is what you will see.  Click on PDA Bal by Person to see your balance, and PDA Details by Person to see your transactions.  HINT:  REMEMBER TO TYPE IN 2 ZERO’S BEFORE YOUR EMPLOYEE ID # 009999999



If you are an administrator of PDA funds, you will see a new Tile on your MOSAIC Home Page named Administrative Reporting.


If you click on this Tile you will see reports for PDA Balance and PDA Details.  As well as the ability to run both of these reports by person, you can also run them for a single department or range of departments.





Health & Safety

I am a supervisor. What safety education do I require is FHS?



What do I do if there is an incident in the lab?

The McMaster Injury/Incident Report can be completed on-line through the Health & Safety Office web site. Type in the information, print it and get it signed. Then submit it to their office by mail or fax.

FHS Safety Office

Health Sciences Centre
Room 1J11A - Purple Section
Phone - 905-525-9140 
Extension 24956 
Fax - 905-528-8539



Who do I contact regarding Health and Safety concerns?

Our Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences Health & Safety Representative is:

Katie Raposo
4N59 Health Sciences Centre
905-525-9140 ext. 22065

*NEW* If you are experiencing symptoms of distress or other emotional crisis, please follow these helpful instructions:

1. Call Homewood Health line (there is a distress line option when you call the toll-free number below). They will assist the faculty/staff member and their family. They will work around their schedule and will set up an appointment very quickly near home or work. Homewood Health website: Toll Free:1.800.663.1142

2. If we need someone to come to the office immediately, we call Employee Health Services and ask that a nurse be sent (905-525-9140 x20309 or x 20310) and

3. Call/come to Main Office and see Bonnie Murphy x22309 or Lorraine Curtis x22498 for assistance.

*NEW* For information on how to help students in times of crisis and a list of mental health support information from McMaster University, peers, and our community please see the attached brochure.

Please refer to Faculty of Health Sciences Safety Office website for more information.

NOTE: We would like to take a moment to remind you of the importance of keeping your lab’s safety training up-to-date and to let you know that it is time to complete your lab safety inspections - //

Here, you will also find links to the Lab Training Documentation Record, the Lab Employee Orientation Checklist, and the Safety and Awareness Training Checklist to assist you with orienting new summer students and to serve as a guide to the training that is required of ALL PERSONS in the lab.

All safety training is now completed through Mosaic and can be accessed here: //

Biosafety Information

The Biosafety Office serves the enitre university and is located in the FHS Safety Office, HSC 1J11. Contact Jennifer Robertson, Biosafety Manager, via email or at extension 23453, regarding any specific questions or concerns.

The Presidential Biosafety Advisory Committee has approved “Operational Procedures for Use at BSL2+” which can be found at //

Biohazard Approvals

An approved Biohazard Utilization Protocol (BUP) is required if you are planning to work with or import a potentially hazardous biological material in the laboratory. The approval process involves a review of the pathogens, procedures and physical facilities you plan to use.

Completing the Biohazard Utilization Forms (PDF and XLSX) captures the necessary information for an informed review by the Presidential Biosafety Advisory Committee (PBAC). Principal Investigators must receive an approval from the PBAC before beginning work with biohazardous material.

All BUP information can be found here: BUP Information

Biohazardous Waste Disposal

Our work environment generates different types of waste. It is important to direct waste so it can be managed effectively. Specific waste handling instructions can be found here: Biohazardous Waste Disposal Information

Research Ethics

All research involving human or animal subjects, biohazardous materials, radioactive substances, or controlled goods and/or technology must receive the appropriate clearance before the research may begin. Research Ethics information can be found here: Ethics in Research

Health Physics and Radiation — Information and Training

The Health Physics Department ensures the safety, continuous monitoring and training for all those who deal with radiation in the McMaster community.

Important Information for Project Supervisors and Radioisotope Users

The training schedule and information regarding the "Safe Handling of Radioisotopes" can be found here: Health Physics Training

Importing and Exporting

Information on importing and exporting procedures and guidelines – including PHAC requirements, as well as permit applications can be found here: Import Permits and Controls

You must determine if an Import Permit is required under the direction of the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) prior to importing Human Pathogens. The Office of Laboratory Security (PHAC), will review Import Permit Applications and issue a permit if necessary. For additional information on how to obtain an Import Permit, please visit the PHAC website, or to obtain an Import Permit Application Form.

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional Level Double-A conformance, W3C WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0