Norm Buckley, Professor and Chair, Department of Anaesthesia
Welcome to the Department of Anesthesia in the Faculty of Health Sciences at McMaster University. You will find a description of the department, our faculty members as well as details of our education and research activities.
2016 Department Review
The Department of Anesthesia at McMaster University along with other Canadian Academic Anesthesia Departments has the responsibility of providing leadership in the discipline of anesthesia. This is achieved through the conduct of fundamental and applied research. It is also achieved through a commitment to the highest level of teaching of students, colleagues and the public. Integral to these goals is the organization and provision of safe and effective services in anesthesia by competent and caring physicians.
The major strength of our department is the people. Our faculty are intensely committed to the training of excellent clinicians. This commitment to education is reflected by the involvement of many of our graduates in recent years with the pedagogy of education, and willingness to be involved in both postgraduate and undergraduate teaching. This has led to innovative solutions to difficult educational problems and to impressive feedback from students and faculty alike. We are solvent, and funding is available at the present time to support pilot projects in several areas. We continue to be a popular site for fellowship training in pain management.
Highlights for the McMaster University Department of Anesthesia in the past five years include significant faculty recruitment; a significant increase in contribution to education, research, and administration at the local, national and international levels; and the use of simulation technologies to teach clinical skills and to explore their potential use in distance medicine. For an overview of our department, please visit About the Department of Anesthesia. For information on our research activities and publications, please visit their respective pages on this website.
Department News and Events
- Advanced Perioperative TEE Rounds, Wednesday, February 1st, @ 5:30 p.m. (NOTE TIME CHANGE), "Epicardial and Epiaortic Echocardiography", Presenter: Dr. Nayer Yousef, HGH - Noonan Conference Room
- City Wide Rounds, Wednesday, February 1st @7:15 a.m., “Competence By Design”, Presenter: Dr. Michael Sullivan, Staff Anesthesiologist, Southlake Regional Health Centre, Newmarket, ON. MUMC - 1A4
- Clinical Improvement Rounds, Wednesday, February 8, 2017 @7:15 a.m., “The Butterfly in the Diving Bell: The Perils of Paralytics on Labour and Delivery" Airway Emergencies and What to do After, Presenter: Dr. Kurt Domuracki, MUMC - 1A4
- SAVE THE DATE: Winter 2017 Anesthesia Research Interest Group Meeting, Thursday February 16, 2017, West Room, University Club, 6:00 p.m., Presenters:
Dr. Lehana Thabane,
Dr. Li Wang,
Dr. Russell Brown
- Special City Wide Rounds Wednesday, February 22, 2017 @ 7:30 a.m., “Canadian Cardiovascular Society Guidelines on Perioperative Cardiac Risk Assessment & Management for Patients Undergoing Noncardiac Surgery” , Presenters: Dr. P.J. Devereaux, Dr. J. Harlock, Dr. Y. Le Manach, Dr. E. Duceppe, Dr. T. Sheth, Dr. V. Tandon, Dr. M. Bhandari, JCC Auditorium 4th Floor
Video Conferencing Available:
4E20 - McMaster Medical Centre
Classroom C- St. Joseph's Hospital
AV Studio Level 1 (across from Noonan Conference Room) HGH
- Resident Rounds, Wednesday, February 22, 2017 @ 7:30 a.m., "Canadian Cardiovascular Society Guidelines on Perioperative Cardiac
Risk Assessment and Management for Patients Who Undergo
Non-Cardiac Surgery" Presenter: Dr. Anthony Valante, Cambell Auditorium, SJH
- Pain Rounds, Thursday, February 23, 2017 @ 5:30 p.m., “The Cannabis Conundrum – An Evidence Based Review on The Use of Medical Cannabis in Chronic Pain Disorders and Associated Comorbid Conditions”, Presenter: Dr. Vikas Parihar, BSc. Biochem, BSc. Pharmacy, Pharm.D., MDCL - 2232
- Advance Perioperative TEE Rounds, Wednesday, March 1st 2017 @ 5:30 p.m.,
“Acute Aorta Syndrome: Focus on Aortic Dissection”, Presenter: Dr. Richard Kolesar, MD, Staff Anesthesiologist, Hamilton Health Sciences Associate Clinical Professor, Noonan Conference Room, Hamilton General Hospital
- Anesthesia City Wide Rounds, Wednesday, March 1st @7:15 a.m. “Competence By Design: Ensuring the next “big idea” leads to superior training for McMaster Anesthesia Residents”, Presenter: Dr. Karen Raymer,MD, MSc, FRCP(C), Program Director, Anesthesia Residency Program, McMaster University, MUMC Room 1A4
- Anesthesia Journal Club, Tuesday, March 2, 2017 @ 6:00 p.m., “Issues in Airway Management”,
La Piazza Allegra, 80 James St S, Hamilton, ON L8P 4V1
"A deliberately restricted laryngeal view with the GlideScope video laryngoscopy is associated with faster and easier
tracheal intubation when compared with a full glottic view: A randomized
- Presenter: Dr. Joshua Tobe, PGY2, Commentary: Dr. Turlough O'Hare
- Clinical Improvement Rounds scheduled for March 8th are CANCELLED.